stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Workout Tips for (York U) Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I know that it’s hard to even consider  working out when you’re in the midst of an assignment overload or preparing  for exams, but , this doesn’t mean that you should neglect the one thing that’s going to carry you through: your body. 

Does this sound like you?

Working out for 2 weeks straight, then seeing one toned muscle and immediately going out for the fries because “you deserve it.”

• Once you notice a change in your body you completely fall off of your workout schedule because you’ve “reached your goal.”

• Working out all summer but forgetting to take care of yourself once school starts

• Constantly going between being extremely healthy and then extremely unhealthy in a matter of weeks.

Don’t worry, this used to be me too, but I have learned some tips and tricks that have stopped me from neglecting my workouts and allowed me to stay on track.  

Here are my workout tips from the inexpensive to the pricey. 

Download an App to Motivate You:

The one app that I use all the time for amazing workouts is the Nike Training App.

This app has just about any kind of workout you could want. It creates a plan for you and reminds you when you’re supposed to workout. It has workouts ranging from 5 to 45 minutes, and you can use equipment or just your own body weight. If you like running you can download the Nike Running App to connect to the Nike Training App and include running in your fitness plan. 

I use this app all the time because it not only designs the workouts for me, but  I get to choose which ones  I want to do, whether that be cardio, endurance, strength or a relaxing yoga workout. 

Other Apps to Try:

7 Minute Workout 

This app is great for when you want a quick workout that still is going to push you. Who can’t take 7 minutes out of their day for a quick, fun workout?  

Photo from Google Play Store 

30 Day Fitness Challenge

This app is great, especially if you’re a beginner. It will keep you on track and it has easy to hard workouts for you and it documents your progress over the 30 days. 

Photo from Google Play Store

Do a Challenge on Youtube: 

21 Day Pilates Challenge

When I did this Pilates challenge, it was the first time that I had a flat stomach and I noticed a difference in only a few days. This workout is only 17 minutes and it tones your whole body.

Photo screenshot from YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouv_isD5mZ8

30 Day Yoga Challenge

I loved doing this challenge because it’s a calming way to start your day, and perfect for releasing school stress. This is also perfect for beginners because Adrienne eases you into the workouts and makes it so everyone can keep up.

Screenshot from YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBu-pQG6sTY

If you’re not into yoga or pilates there are so many challenges on YouTube to check out that are guaranteed keep you fit during even the busiest school schedule. 

Join the York U Gym

A lot of us need somebody to keep us motivated, so why not get a gym buddy and head over to the Tait Mckenzie gym?It’s only $15 for the year and you get access to not only the fitness center but also all of the workout classes. From circuit classes to weight training there is something for everyone to enjoy.

There are also times in the gym scheduled exclusively for women. Click Here for the schedule! 

http://yublog.students.uit.yorku.ca/blog/2012/10/24/the-york-u-guide-to-staying-fit/

Get a Personal Trainer

I used to have a personal trainer and if you can afford it I recommend it. You will always have someone holding you accountable for eating properly and for making sure you are working out enough to reach your body goals. At York it costs $130 for three sessions, but f this is too steep, you can also try semi-private sessions (up to three people) for a group rate of $220. Click Here for more info!

Extra Tips:

Make time for your workouts. Wake up even a half an hour earlier so that you can start your day off right and stay motivated throughout the day.

Design a pump-up playlist to work out to. The right song can make you run faster, workout harder, and push yourself so much more than if there is no music. Create a playlist or go on YouTube ahead of time to find some curated  playlists. 

Keep everything in perspective. It’s okay to miss a few days of working out. Just schedule a workout for the next day and smash it. Just because you missed a few days does not mean that you’ve failed. Don’t be hard on yourself. Everyone needs a break every once in awhile.

If you get in the habit of working out when you’re young your body will thank you later. Don’t let school get in the way of taking care of yourself. Take action today and focus on these steps to reach your fitness goals.  

A perpetually lost writer who is just trying to make sense of it all. Never ask me for directions. 
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.