The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Working Out and Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Hey, Collegiettes! I know it’s the time of the semester when we’re all way too busy and never seem to have the time for working out. Not to mention, that it can be kind of intimidating to go to the gym if you don’t really know a lot about working out. Well, have no fear, ladies!

It’s time to take control of our time and our self-esteem! I’m no personal trainer—in fact, I’m pretty lazy—but, I do make it my personal goal to hit the gym three times every week, which sounds difficult, but you’ll see that it’s easier than you think. However, in order to do that, we need to stay organized with our time and school work.

So, here are some helpful hints plus a bit of my self-esteem-boosting playlist. Right now is the time in our lives when we need to work on becoming the very best version of ourselves, so let’s do it together ladies!

First, we need to make time in our schedules to work out!

If we want to get in shape, we need to make time for exercise! I personally have the problem of ALWAYS being busy. However, we need to realize that we only need to give up about 30 minutes to an hour, about three times a week, which isn’t that bad. I squeeze in a workout before other club meetings, or I take a 30-minute break from homework to hit the gym, which relaxes my mind and body. I’ll be honest, it’s kind of hard to get started, but once you do, it will become part of your routine!

Drink plenty of water, and eat food that will make you feel good!

Even if you’re not making it a goal to work out several times throughout the week, we all need to make it a goal to swap the soda for water, and fuel our bodies with food that will make us feel good! This also sounds more difficult than it is—it’s all about routine. My trick for getting enough water is to always carry my re-fillable Camelbak water bottle in my back-pack. So, instead of paying for a drink in a drink machine, I always have some water with me. Sometimes I even put fruit in my water to add a little flavor.

As far as eating goes, I simply try to make sure that I eat things that make me feel good. Even though fast food may taste great, I normally end up feeling sluggish after eating. Instead, I try to make sure that my breakfast is something that is healthy and will fuel me with energy, like oatmeal or whole grain toast with eggs. For lunch, I like to go to Markley’s at the Center and order a wrap from The Wedge. On my wrap, I like to get plenty of veggies of different colors and categories, a lean meat like turkey, and a light dressing like a vinaigrette. For dinner, I like to mix it up. There are plenty healthy options, so remember that eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring!

Getting ready—cute gym clothes = motivation to actually work out!

I’ll be honest, I’m a girly girl. So, when it comes time to work out, I love dressing in cute gym clothes. I love to match my top with my shorts or leggings, and sometimes even my shoes! If you’re like me, having cute gym clothes is kind of motivation to go to the gym, because you feel more confident and equipped. For me, it just makes working out more fun if I look good doing it!

Once You’re at the Gym: Warm Up, Work Out, Cool Down!

Alright, here we go—the actual working out part. Like I said, I’m kind of lazy, so we’re going to rely on the experts here. Gymaholic.com has a lot of information for beginners, as well as an intense 3-day workout specifically for women. However, if you’re a beginner, TheByrn.com has a really good 3-day beginner workout! My personal workout varies because of the need to change muscle groups, and to keep myself interested. I love doing group fitness classes like Zumba and HIIT, but I also love doing solo cardio and toning workouts. The West Center has a lot of great fitness classes as well as a wonderful, and helpful staff! Check out the linked workouts and tips for beginners!

Self-Esteem at the Gym

I know that the gym can be intimidating, and it can be hard for us lazy girls to get motivated, but let me tell you—once you get going, it feels amazing to be bettering your body and mind! Ladies, please realize that no one will be judging you at the gym—we’re all there in the pursuit of a healthier lifestyle! I love seeing people of all ages and sizes at the gym because we are all trying to make ourselves better! When you go to the gym, look at yourself in the mirror and realize that you are slaying! You are becoming a healthier you! You are working it! So feel beautiful, feel confident, feel strong! Working out is not about losing weight or fitting into a certian image, it is about becoming a healthier version of you!

Form a Lady Gym Squad

One idea to help keep you motivated to go to the gym, and also build your self-esteem when working out is having a squad of gym girls! My roommates and I love going to the gym together, because we help keep one another motivated and we encourage each other to push through the pain! Form a squad of ladies whose goal is to make one another feel good about yourselves and keep you from skipping out on the gym!

Gym Girl Playlist: Motivating and Moving

Working out can be fun, but it’s even more fun when you have some great lady boss jams to work out, too! Here are some songs to work out and get your diva on!

Confident by Demi Lavato

Really Don’t Care by Demi Lavato and Cher Lloyd

Love Myself by Hailee Steinfeld

Me Too by Meghan Trainor

Shout Out to My Ex by Little Mix

That’s My Girl by Fifth Harmony

Run the World (Girls) by Beyoncé

The Greatest by Sia ft. Kendrick Lamar

Feeling Myself by Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé

Diva by Beyoncé

BO$$ by Fifth Harmony

Ain’t My Fault by Zara Larsson

Cool Girl by Tove Lo

Get Me Bodied by Beyoncé

You Don’t Own Me by Grace ft. Jeezy

Work B*tch by Britney Spears

Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson

Tik Tok by Kesha

We R Who We R by Kesha

Do My Thang by Miley Cyrus

Worth It by Fifth Harmony

Focus by Ariana Grande

Roar by Katy Perry

Firework by Katy Perry

Heart Attack by Demi Lavato

Holla Back Girl by Gwen Stefani

Alright ladies! Let’s do this! Let’s start encouraging one another to work out and become more confident in ourselves!  Working out isn’t about becoming “skinny” or losing weight; just do you and become the best version of you! You can do it!

Allison is a sophomore at Winthrop University where she majors in English and has a concentration in Secondary Education. On campus, Allison is very involved-she is an Honors student, Admissions Ambassador, and a member of Her Campus Winthrop, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, and Ratio Christi. Allison loves her family and friends very much, and tries to spread the love of Jesus wherever she goes. In her free time, Allison loves to travel (Paris, France is her favorite!), read classics like Pride and Prejudice, and drink iced coffee while binge-watching New Girl on Netflix. Follow her on Instagram to see her attempts to be artistic @allisondsnipes
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.