kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Try These Easy Tricks to Make Healthy Eating a Breeze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Most everyone ends up making diet changes during the course of their life. There are a lot of different reasons for diet modifications, including but not limited to health goals, intolerances, and allergies. I’ve learned a lot from recently having to cut gluten and most dairy out of my diet, and now I’m sharing what I’ve learned with you. Here are some diet tips that will help keep you well-nourished and feeling good.

1. Focus on Eating Healthy

Instead of focusing on what you shouldn’t eat, focus on what you should. When buying ingredients or ordering food, finds things that look/sound good within the realm of what you’re allowed to eat. A healthy diet doesn’t have to be unpleasant; dietary modifications will never be successful if eating becomes a chore and you dread every meal.

2. Don’t Restrict Food Intake

Withholding sustenance from your body for an extended period of time is dangerous; no matter what your body type or reason for your dietary changes, always make sure you get enough to eat! You should eat meals that are filling or eat small meals with plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day to keep yourself nourished.

3. Don’t Count Calories

Counting calories is tedious and, at the end of the day, the composition of your food is far more important than the number of calories it contains. The only time you should be concerned with your caloric intake is if you think you might not be getting enough calories.

4. Find Substitutions

Some people give themselves occasional “cheat days” where they eat something they know they aren’t supposed to. This is generally harmless, unless you have a hard time with diet changes. If you’re having difficulties, cheating on your diet only makes things harder. Instead, try to find substitutions. This means finding or creating versions of forbidden foods using ingredients that adhere to your dietary rules. You might even discover that you enjoy the remix over the original.

Disclaimer: Everyone’s body is different and what is good for one person may be bad for another. If you have any health concerns, diet-related or otherwise, always consult with your doctor.

Kristy Lee

Washington '20

Undergraduate at the University of Washington majoring in English and minoring in American Indian Studies.