The Major Benefits of Clean Eating, and How to Do It Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Eating healthy can not only be tedious but also expensive. As a college student, majority of us have so many things going on in our life at once that we forget about the most important factor, our health. Personally, I have learned how to eat healthier without breaking the bank. Below are just a few of many simple inexpensive healthy alternatives to greasy easy accessible food choices.

1. Salads

You guessed it! The easiest and least expensive healthy choice that I have come across are salads. They are priced around $3-$5 and are very filling. I like salads because not only are they not expensive, you can mix and match all types of different things in them. For instance, nuts and berries pack large amounts of protein and flavor to your salad. Lettuce contains moisture, energy, protein, fat, and our essential vitamins. That’s money well spent.

2. Seafood

I absolutely love seafood! Seafood is not only extremely tasty, but the amount of health benefits are large. Seafood promotes a strong healthy heart, provides essential nutrients such as iron, good for your joints, maintains brain functioning, etc. A pound of tilapia (8-10 pieces) is around $6-$7 at your local market. The meal possibilities with seafood are endless. You can make pasta, rice, or veggies with your choice of meat. Great outcome for a great price.

3. Fruit Salad

Fruit is an excellent alternative to fatty foods. Fruit provides an abundance of vitamin C which is great for your skin and immune system. Fruit salads can be made very quickly and all fruit should be under $5. You can add grapes, strawberries, blue berries, apples, and yogurt & granola for a boost of energy.

4. Vegetables

Call it cliché, but you can’t have a healthy list without adding veggies! Green veggies are the best for health! Veggies such as broccoli, spinach, asparagus, etc. are the best for producing critical immune cells in your gut. If you aren’t big on eating vegetables as is, you can make a healthy smoothie as an alternative.

5.Tea

Tea is a very affordable healthy product. Tea can boost exercise endurance and increase the body’s ability to burn fat as fuel, which accounts for improved muscle endurance. Tea also is good for fighting off different diseases such as various types of cancers and health diseases. HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.