Wellness

The Best Exercises for Shy Girls to do at The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I remember my first time walking into the gym. It was so crowded I was ready to turn around before I even went through the doors. There were groups of people at each squat rack, every other treadmill was being used, and most of the other machines were also in use. Once a machine was finally open, I would sort of just stand there and scratch my head. I didn’t know how to use any of these machines! After an hour of navigating this foreign land, I went home feeling defeated. I was just too shy to try and experiment with new equipment because I didn’t want to look foolish. Since that first day I have definitely gained a lot more confidence and I’m not as afraid to try out new machines. To those who are looking to go to the gym for the first time, but are too shy or overwhelmed by all of the machine options, here are my picks for the best exercises for beginners.

Before stepping into the gym…

If you know what part of your body you want to exercise, try to look up some machines and exercises for it. There are thousands of online tutorials for any kind of exercise you can imagine. By looking up 4-8 exercises you are personally comfortable doing, when you walk into the gym you will already have a game plan in mind. Lots of exercise machines also have instructions on how to use them, as well as visuals showing which muscles they target. Another thing to keep in mind is that no matter how ripped somebody is, or how much someone is lifting, they all had to start from ground zero too. Each person is there to work on themselves, and though I can’t speak for everyone, they most likely are not judging you.

Cardio Machines

If you can get to one, by far the best exercise, in my opinion, for beginners can be done on any type of cardio machine. A treadmill, bike, elliptical, or even the Stairmaster. Now, I didn’t say that they were easy, but depending on your goals,  you can definitely get an effective workout just by using a cardio machine. Using a cardio machine is also typically the best time to scope out the rest of your gym, and machines you may be interested in trying out.

Lat Pulldown

I swear, if there is only one machine you should use at the gym, it’s the lat pulldown machine. It consists of pulling down a bar attached to a cable, and then adding more weight when it becomes too easy. The best thing about the lat pulldown machine is how versatile it is for your back and arms. The machine is very customizable by doing things such as using different attachments, changing your hand placement, and changing your grip all to make it more challenging or easier; whatever the goal is!

Leg Press

The leg press machine is one of those that looks scary, but it really isn’t! If given the option, the upright leg press is definitely easier to grasp at first. You simply select your weight (always start low and work your way up!), sit in the seat, and push away. Your feet position will determine which muscles you’re targeting. A typical leg press starts at a predetermined weight and then you add plates to increase it. It’s important that while on the leg press machine that you do not straighten out your legs or else they could buckle.

Non-Machine Exercises

When in doubt, one or two sets of dumbbells can help you have an awesome workout. Floor exercises are great because you don’t need a lot of room, and you can exercise any part of the body. They can also be incredibly adaptable. Start with dumbbells, then start incorporating other pieces of equipment such as kettlebells, bands, lifts, boxes, benches, and even barbells.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!