kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips To Get Fit In 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We have reached the point in the year where most people have completely given up on their new years resolutions. In fact, over 60% of people abandon their resolutions within 30 days. One of the most common resolutions is to lose weight and get in shape. The problem is, if you go about this resolution in the wrong way, it can be one of the hardest and most discouraging resolutions imaginable. That’s why Her Campus is here with some tips that can help get you back on track, and make this the year you actually stick with it.

1. Ease Into It

If you haven’t been to the gym in a long time, it may be unrealistic for you to jump right into a strict schedule and/or diet. Try making small changes at first. A realistic exercise goal would be to start out going two or three times a week. As far as dieting goes, I wouldn’t recommend starting out too ambitious or else you will more than likely give up. Try to identify one or two areas you could improve on, and start focusing on these. This could be as simple as eliminating soda and cutting back on snacking. 

2. Do It With A Friend

When you first begin dieting or exercising it will not be fun. It’s very easy to talk yourself out of going to the gym or eating a healthy meal. If you have a friend going to the gym with you it will make it more fun and you will be less likely to give up since someone else is depending on you. Personally, I like going to the gym with my friend because we are there to celebrate each other’s successes.

3. Be Realistic

We’ve all seen commercials promising you that you will lose 20 pounds in your first month by using their product or diet plan. Sadly, these types of results aren’t realistic. Don’t let yourself get discouraged if you only lose 1 or 2 pounds a week. It’s still more than you would’ve lost if you were sitting at home. 

4. Be Patient

Getting into shape is not a quick process. If you are expecting to go from flab to abs in one month you’re going to be very disappointed. Just hang in there and eventually the results will start to show. I recommend taking progress pics. You won’t see very many changes day to day, but when you are able to look at a picture of yourself from a month ago the changes will be more visible and it will keep you motivated.

5. Try New Things

Nothing is as boring as going to the gym and doing the exact same thing every time. Try doing a few different exercises each time so that you don’t feel like you are constantly doing the same thing. Other ideas include taking a class, going for a hike, or getting some friends together to play an outdoor game. In addition to being more fun, switching it up will also reduce the chances of you developing a muscle memory which decreases results.

6. Don’t Be Afraid To Copy People

When you first start going to the gym there will be a lot of machines that scare you. One thing that really worked for me was copying people. Choose a few machines you’d like to try and then pay attention to how other people use them, what form they use, what weight they use, etc. This way, when you finally work up the courage to do it, you will have a pretty good idea what to expect, plus you won’t be end up in a gym fails video on Youtube.

7. Buy New Gear

Don’t just throw on the same pair of shoes you’ve had for 3 years with an old t-shirt. Gym shoes and workout clothes are not only better because they are designed specifically for what you are doing, they also make it more fun. I always get more excited to go to the gym when I have a new tank top or pair of shorts. Nowadays, workout clothes are acceptable to wear almost anywhere. so these won’t be clothes you can only wear to the gym. 

It’s no longer January 1st, but tomorrow is as good of day as any to start making positive fitness changes. Just remember to be realistic and don’t let yourself get discouraged. Good luck!

Business major at the University of Utah. Politics fanatic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor