“Healthy Body, Healthy Mind” – 5 Top Tips For Maintaining Your Health And Well-Being During The Final College Weeks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UL chapter.

As we all know, summer is fast approaching but unfortunately, that also means those dreaded exams. It’s important to work hard and do your best but it’s just as important to look after your own health and wellbeing in the lead up to exams too. This can be a stressful time which can heavily impact both your body and mind, so ensuring that you look after yourself is essential. Here are my top 5 tips for getting the most out of your studies while maintaining a healthy body and of course, a healthy mind.

1. ‘Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail’

As obvious as it may seem, preparation is a key element in keeping stress levels low and success levels high. It’s important that you use your time wisely in these final few weeks and try to avoid procrastination as much as possible. A study plan will be your best friend in order to keep yourself on track and your study focused. You don’t want to be that person spending late nights trying to cram a whole semester of work into a few hours. That is not productive study and you will probably forget half of what you revised. Also, needless to say, it will send your stress levels through the roof which won’t do you any favours.

1. Maintain a Balanced Diet

Often in the run up to exams, I can find myself living on a diet solely made up of caffeine and chocolate in order to force my body to stay functioning. It’s important not to skip meals while studying and also to make sure your meals are healthy and balanced. We often look for the ‘quick fix’ for a fast energy boost while studying and can find ourselves bingeing on sugary, unhealthy junk food. Swap those chocolate bars for a piece of fruit or some raw vegetables. They’re healthy, full of essential nutrients and minerals and will also give you that well-needed energy boost in a way that’s kind to your body.

1. Get Active

We can reach a certain point in our study where concentration levels start to drop and what we’re revising just isn’t sticking in our minds. It’s important to be aware of how concentrated and focused you actually are so you can resolve this problem when it hits. The best way to deal with a loss of concentration is to get out and get active. Whether it’s playing your favourite sport or going out for a walk, do something to escape from study for a while. Clearing your mind will allow you to regain your concentration and focus, thus ensuring your study is productive. Don’t abandon exercise just because you feel it’s wasting precious study time because it could, in fact, improve the quality of your study.

1. Get Your Forty Winks

Your brain works over time in the run up to and during exams so it’s important to get 8-10 hours’ sleep each night. Avoid staying up late to study, especially the night before an exam, so that you don’t feel tired and drowsy the next day as this could affect your performance. Set yourself a time to finish study so you can begin to wind down and allow yourself to relax before bed. Taking this time for yourself will stop your mind reeling with thoughts of study and exams and will allow both your body and mind to relax, which will ultimately improve the quality of your sleep.

1. Make Time for Socialising

With our time taken up studying, we can tend to bury ourselves in a hole and unconsciously estrange ourselves from all other forms of human life. Take regular study breaks and make time for friends and family, especially if exams have you feeling a little bit overwhelmed. They say that a good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything, even exam stress! Fun is allowed during exam time too, it’s not all drib and drab. Make plans with a friend or spend some downtime with your family and take your mind off all things exam related. If you’re worried about your grades or performance, talk to someone and let them know you’re feeling this way. As the saying goes, “A problem shared is a problem halved.”

So there you have it, my top 5 tips for maintaining your health and wellbeing as you approach these final few weeks of college. I hope these tips can help you power through those exams while staying motivated and most importantly healthy. Summer is just around the corner and there is plenty of time for relaxation ahead. Good luck guys!

Official Contributor for HCUL
University of Limerick Chapter Correspondent. Studying Journalism and New Media.