kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness with Finesse: Perfecting Your Post-Holiday Bod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Hey collegiettes! My name is Brittany, and I’m the new Fitness with Finesse blogger.

For many of us, the last month has been indulgent to say the least. With all the traveling to see family, the parties, and those tempting sweet treats, the holidays make it nearly impossible to maintain your regular fitness routine. If you have inevitably let a few pounds be gained, no need to fret.

A New Year’s resolution to eliminate that holiday bulge and return to that fabulous figure you worked to maintain all year is a great one! It just so happens that every other college student has the same mindset and is taking over the gym, so finding an open elliptical has suddenly become tougher than finals week. Talk about a sore subject.

But, no worries! There are plenty of ways to stay active without relying on the gym.  

Getting back into shape is especially easy with the fun free app Daily Workouts. The app includes more than 90 5-to-10 minute workouts for targeted areas such as abs, arms, cardio, and butt. Plus, there are also 30-minute whole body workouts, so finding what you’re looking for will be a breeze.

These exercise routines don’t require you to carve out a huge chunk of time to finish, and they can be completed in the comfort of your own home. With workouts this simple, your New Year’s resolution can be a weight lifted off your shoulders. Below are five of my personal favorite workouts: 

1. Side Plank Leg Lifts: Begin by lying on your side and resting your right elbow firmly on the floor with your forearm resting on the ground. Lift yourself up so that your body is at an angle. Lift your left leg into the air 10 times. Then flip to your left side and repeat (five reps of each). 

2. Superman Lifts: Lie on your stomach, elevate both your arms and legs, and balance for 30 seconds. Do this five times.

3. Crossover Crunch: Lying on your back, put both feet flat on the ground. Lift your left leg to form a 90-degree angle. With both hands behind your head, perform a crunch toward your elevated knee. Then, reverse the action toward the other leg.

4. Mountain Climber Pulls: With two hands flat on the floor and your arms outstretched, elevate your body at an angle. In other words, form a strong plank to make sure your abs stay tight. Pull your knee toward your elbow and keep alternating.

5. Donkey Kicks: With your hands and knees flat on the floor and your abs pulled in tight, reach your right leg up behind you with a bent knee. You should be pushing through your heel. Make sure to keep your back straight. After returning to the starting position, lift your other leg.

Stay fit, collegiettes

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.