Fitness With Finesse: 5 Struggles of a Gym-a-Holic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We all know what it’s like to go to the gym. There are always those certain people or things that make your experience not as great as it could be, especially at a college gym, and definitely at the start of a new year. Now imagine that being a part of your everyday life. That’s the struggle gym-a-holics have to face. Here’s a quick definition of a gym-a-holic, in case you were wondering.

Gym-a-holic: (noun) A person addicted to the gym; they often live there and refer to it as their second home.

Now, for all you gym-goers out there — even if you may not be a certified addict and only go a few times a month — I want you to know that you are not alone in facing these struggles. We’ve all been there. Here’s a list of the top 10 struggles gym-a-holics face, along with my advice for dealing with each one.

1. When the gym is overcrowded right after winter break.
This is a common occurrence at almost any gym. Everyone is suddenly interested in working out thanks to whoever invented the New Year’s resolution. The best way to get around this is to go super early in the morning or late at night to avoid the rush. Trust me, there will be no newbies in sight at 5 a.m.

2. When the person on the treadmill next to you keeps peeking over to see what speed and incline you’re at.
It’s kind of like when someone is cheating off you on a test, but worse. Most likely, this is an overconfident jerk who is just trying to prove they are superior to you… on a treadmill. So cool, right? My best advice is to just blast your music and use their incessant peeking as motivation to go harder. Who’s superior now?

3. When the person using the machine next to you is doing it all wrong.
It takes everything in your power to not push them off the machine and show them how it’s done. It’s even worse when they act like they know what they are doing, but you know it’s completely wrong. I normally just laugh it off (let’s face it, sometimes it can be pretty entertaining) and try to pretend it doesn’t bother me.

4. When you’re squatting and the guy next to you is clearly checking you out.
This is just flat-out frustrating. It’s one thing for a guy to low-key check you out, but when he makes it very obvious, it’s just obnoxious. Now instead of remembering how many reps you’ve done, you start thinking about this creep watching you squat. The best thing to do in this situation is to just focus on what you’re doing so you can be done as quickly as possible, then get the heck outta there.

5. When you have to leave the gym.
The only thing worse than annoying people and things at the gym is having to leave, especially when it’s because of the annoying people and things. On the bright side, you can now proceed to eat an entire Chipotle burrito without feeling guilty.

Next time you feel like you can’t stand all the struggles of basically living at the gym, just know you’re not alone. Power through that workout, make those gains and use these tips to get through it. One day you are bound to have the perfect workout with zero struggles. Strive for that, and you’ll never let the little things discourage you.

Photo credit: indulgy.com