Wellness > Health

Five Alternatives for the Rec Cen You Need to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Fall quarter is unfolding faster than expected, but it’s not too late to keep your goals to exercise more! For those hoping to embark on a health journey, most look no further than UCSB’s Recreation Center. Overflowing with eager first-years and gym rat upperclassmen, the Rec Cen is already packed.

If you are a gym junkie, the weight and treadmill collection makes the Rec Cen the perfect place for exercise. However, if you are not one of those people, the Rec Cen may not be the best choice. Whether you want fresh air and sun rays while partaking in your weekly exercise or to escape your fellow UCSB students for a change, here are five ways to exercise around campus.

1. Running

UCSB is surrounded by some of the country’s most beautiful scenery and nature. If you are looking to ditch the treadmill for some solid ground, look no further than the many running trails that follow the coastline. You can find students running down the trail to Sands Beach, around the lagoon on dirt paths, or on campus. If you’re looking for more of a challenge, you can try running on the beach and reward yourself with a dunk in the ocean to cool off. UCSB also has a running club, which is a great way to combine working out with socializing. Running allows you to create your own pace or path, and you can switch up your activity depending on the day or location. 

1. Surfing

One of UCSB students’ favorite pastimes, surfing is a great way to get your blood pumping. From Devereux to Campus Point, beginners and pros alike can find great waves on Santa Barbara’s coast. Beginners might experience some soreness when starting out, but your body will become accustomed to the activity over time. Surfing is an exercise that will engage your whole body and develop your muscles. Beginners can get lessons through the Rec Cen Adventure Program. By allowing you to work out and take advantage of UCSB’s natural assets, surfing is the best of both worlds!

1. Hiking

We all know and love the beaches of Santa Barbara, but let us not forget about the striking mountains to the East. Santa Barbara is filled with fantastic hiking trails catering to all skill levels. For example, the hike to Inspiration Point is popular among students and offers a panoramic view of Santa Barbara and its coastline. Less strenuous than other activities, hiking is still one of the best ways to get your body moving. With some research, you can find the hiking trail that works best for you.

1. Gyms near UCSB

Gyms in Goleta and Santa Barbara are popular among students. Purchasing a membership at a public gym will give you access to more extensive equipment and a more private exercise experience. Fitness 19, a popular gym in Goleta, has memberships ranging from $15 to $25 a month if you’re willing to pay for this experience. For those wanting to gain experience with weights or learn exercises specialized for their body and ability, many gyms offer training with a certified instructor. Gyms can be a great outlet, separate from the UCSB campus, to get a workout in at your discretion.

1. Classes

Workout classes are a great mix of fun and exercise. Corepower, located in downtown Santa Barbara, holds yoga, hot yoga, and meditation classes for all skill levels. You can sign up for a membership on their website or purchase individual classes. A yoga instructor leads the classes; no prior experience is needed for the beginner classes. Similarly, Starcycle is a cycling studio focused on cardio that also offers classes and memberships. Music is played during classes, which creates an upbeat, encouraging environment. If you’re struggling to make a workout plan, this may be a great option.

As a college student, it’s essential to stay healthy and incorporate exercise into your weekly routine, but the Rec Cen isn’t always the best place to do that. Instead, try out different workouts and see what feels best for you. Exercise does not have to be a chore, and if you find an activity you enjoy, it can double as a stress reliever and mood enhancer! Hopefully, with these suggestions, we can all create healthy habits to get us through the fall quarter and beyond.

I’m a second year political science major and I’m so excited to be contributing to HerCampus! I love music, cooking and spending time with my friends. :)