body images 2019 11 17 3 2png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 17 3 2png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Why You Need To Treat Yourself When You’re Going Through A Hard Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I think that we can all agree that this year has presented us with unforeseen circumstances that have largely heightened our stress. We all have stresses that can impact us differently. However, this doesn’t mean that we have to deprive ourselves of the things we love when going through a tough period. This is when it is most important to treat ourselves. Restriction of food, limiting time with family, inhibiting or practicing excessive exercise and not carrying out favorite hobbies can have a huge negative impact on your life. You may be thinking these activities are distractions, but if you don’t let yourself live while you are stressed, this could do more harm than good. 

Person waiting by window, sad
Photo by Andrik Langfield from Unsplash

To prevent this and the potential build up of other negative habits, you should try to treat yourself on your worst days. It can be as simple as listening to your favorite song as you clean up your space and reorganize yourself. Or it could be getting ready to go on a nice drive or walk out of your house. If you find yourself having more time, treat yourself to your favorite drink or snack or make yourself a delicious dinner. 

A coffee mug, leaves, and a book
Photo by Melk Hagelslag from Pixabay

Whenever I am low, I like to paint my nails a bright fun color. It makes me feel more put together and like I can tackle anything that comes my way. I also really rely on talking to my mom and friends to give me an extra boost when I am feeling overwhelmed. If neither of these options are available, I usually walk around the block and try to breathe out my stresses. Being in the sun and smelling fresh air always calms me and instantly recenters me. 

Person Stands on Brown Pathway
Photo by Tobi from Pexels

By learning what makes us feel better during hard times, we become more resilient when faced with similar circumstances later on. By being in tune with our feelings, we will be able to assess more accurately when we need a break and when we can put the gas on the pedal. Knowing yourself and your limits makes you a stronger individual- not a weaker one. That is why it is so important to treat yourself; you are rewarding yourself for being strong enough to set a limit. Be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished and are achieving each and every day. Now go celebrate!

Ava Burford is a junior at UCLA. She is passionate about uplifting others through her writing, philanthropic work and blog. She is apart of the sorority Pi Beta Phi and enjoys running and being with her family in her free time.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.