Wellness

Weightlifting Fact vs Fiction: Why More Women Should Pick Up The Barbell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It was the summer before my freshman year of high school. I was recovering from an illness and looking to gain some strength back (and maybe achieve that # fitspo-worthy physique in the process). Several Whitney Simmons videos later and I was determined; I wanted to start lifting weights. 

Being a woman interested in weightlifting can sometimes elicit unwanted comments from others. I heard things like “aren’t you worried you’ll get too bulky?” constantly. These concerns could not be farther from the truth and are products of an overall lack of awareness. I’m here to clear up these myths and tell you how weightlifting has been a game changer for me. 

Let’s first address the bulkiness concerns. As a woman, there’s an incredibly slim chance of becoming big or bulky through lifting. In fact, most women just do not have enough anabolic hormones (such as testosterone) to put on mass like men do.

It’s true that you will likely build muscle when following a strength training routine, but not in the way that some envision. After lifting for a while, I noticed things like my arms getting more toned, and that I was able to bench press heavier weights. But beyond the physical changes, I noticed even more profound changes in my mentality. 

The more I lifted, the more motivation I felt to get even better. It was no longer an “I want to look like this person” mindset. Rather, I wanted to push myself to see how strong I could be and how much I could improve. 

This motivation spread to other aspects of my life outside the gym as well. At that point, I was able to lift amounts that I had never imagined before. If I could do all of these things that had once seemed impossible, imagine what I could do elsewhere in my life if I kept that same dedication. Lifting gave me a huge sense of empowerment in my daily life. Being able to move heavy weights doesn’t just make you feel strong physically; it makes you feel capable mentally as well. 

Additionally, the gym became a much needed safe space for me. Between school and life, I always had a million thoughts racing through my head at once. Whenever I went in for a workout, it felt like I was able to turn off my brain for a little bit and focus my energy on one thing. During that time, there was no worrying about tests or essays. I was 100% focused on my lifting.

It’s no secret that weightlifting is pretty male-dominated. Stepping into a room full of gym-bros can be intimidating, but my advice is simple. Just go for it. Truly, I have learned that most people at the gym are so focused on themselves and aren’t looking at anyone else. The best thing you can do to start lifting is to just go for it. If you don’t try, you’ll never know. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?

I hope that through telling my experience, I have piqued your interest in lifting. I recommend checking out other women who lift to learn more about how to get started. Some of my favorites are @MegSquats and @SoheeFit on instagram. Happy lifting! Let’s all get strong together!

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.