4 Ways Moving Away To College Has Made Me Accidentally Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I knew moving away to school would change me, I just didn’t realize it would change my body! After living here for just 3 weeks, the transformation in my health is already so obvious without me even trying that hard. I can only hope to keep seeing these positive changes as the school year goes on! Here are 4 ways I’ve accidentally helped my health since moving to Westwood:

1. I only buy the groceries that I need

Because this is the first time I’ve lived on my own, I was struggling with what kind of groceries to buy using my own money. I’m limited in how much I can spend, so I decided I can only buy the necessities. I can’t really afford to buy the unhealthy food that I usually want because I need to spend money on what I need, so I’ve switched out Doritos for pretzels and candy for fruit!

2. Accidental Exercise

I walk an average of 3 miles a day! I live in an off-campus apartment, so venturing to class every day is a bit of an adventure walking up and down the hills of Westwood. Not to mention, trekking up the infamous stairs to get to north campus every single day!

3. Free Gym Membership

Being a student at UCLA means a free gym membership! I used to live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but with all the walking I’ve been doing, it has actually motived me to hit the gym and work on lifting weights! The gym is also in a great location because it’s on campus, so it is really easy to go in between classes and feel super accomplished by the end of the day!

4. Water, Water, Water

My reusable tin water bottle has saved my life! Because of all the necessary walking and lack of money that I have, water has been my go-to drink, and it has honestly changed so much! My skin is clearer, I feel better, I have more energy and it helps with cleansing my body! Plus, it’s free!

Emily is a graduate of UCLA and former Senior Editor of Her Campus at UCLA. During her free time, Emily loves to read, travel and binge-watch episodes of Gilmore Girls. She can be reached at emilylentz47@gmail.com.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.