Wellness

Unaware Self-Care: Building the Habits You Aren’t Used to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When we talk about self-care, there’s an immediate attraction to face masks, candles, bubble baths and the whole nine yards. While this is a step in the right direction, we’re missing out on the minor steps that lead to larger strides. It starts with the basics of building up tiny positive habits. 

Person holding Mug
Photo by Maierean Andrei from Pexels

Building this cycle isn’t easy. It takes a couple of weeks for a habit to kick in full swing. This is why we need to take a deeper look into what our minds and bodies need — what is the healthiest thing we can do for ourselves now? The minors are a decision to an ultimately healthy long-term self-care. We become so caught up with school, work, internships, organizations and the lot that we don’t realize what we need here and now.  Here is an ongoing list of minor things you can do for you to be self-care aware: 

Wake up early. Go to bed early. Drink water. Say something positive to yourself in the morning. Say something positive to yourself a night. Smile. Try something that makes you happy. Step away from social media. Step away from your phone. Go to the park. Dance. Go to the beach. Wrap yourself up in a blanket. Go somewhere that makes you happy. Breathe. Breathe again. Allow yourself to cry. If you need to vent go for it. Trust your gut. You can say no. Don’t feel bad for looking out for yourself. Make your bed. Schedule time in your week to relax. Take a nap. Exercise. Set up your outfit for the next day the night before. Say “I love you” to someone you care about. Journal in the morning. Sing. Journal at night. Meditate. Go somewhere alone and spend some time getting to know yourself. 

Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

The list seems daunting doesn’t it? There’s so much more we can do to help build ourselves that can become majorly impactful in the long-term. Here’s an idea: come out to our “You Glow Girl” self-care event featuring DIY scrubs, a Galentine’s craft station, photo booths and of course yummy goodies! Come get some inspiration for your own Galentine’s event, or bring your girl gang and celebrate with us! For more info check out our Facebook event page.

Chelsea Velez is a senior majoring in journalism and double-minoring in creative writing & sociology. She spends most of her time writing, drinking coffee, and running around finding the latest story. She plans to become a well-known writer in whatever form that may be and inspire others through her content creation.
UCF Contributor