This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The past week has been really hard for me, mentally and emotionally. I’m stressed and overwhelmed and just plain sad. I go through ups and downs all the time, but usually, I can pinpoint the problem and relieve my anxiety. Lately, though, it’s been this dark tunnel where all my problems seem enormous and out of reach. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

And that’s okay.

For many of us, when we feel sad, we instantly look for a way to control it, fix it, end it. We need to let go of this mindset. Not every problem has a solution. Not every emotion has a reason. As humans, we’re naturally complex, irrational and contradicting beings. It’s okay to feel sad. It’s okay to not worry about fixing yourself. Sometimes you just have to be. Just let yourself feel whatever it is that you’re feeling. 

Take one of those mental health days people are always raving about on social media. And, while you’re at it, take a break from social media (trust me, it’s having more of a negative impact on you than you think). Let yourself indulge in your favorite Netflix show that makes you smile. Exercise! Drink water and let it bring you energy. Write out your thoughts and everything that’s bothering you. Take a nap. Don’t let yourself be isolated from the people you care about. Be selfish. 

I know these might sound like cliche pieces of advice that you hear all the time, but I’m just reminding you of them one more time. It truly does help. 

Suppressing emotions can actually make them even more of an obstacle. You don’t have to analyze and dissect everything, however, simply acknowledging your emotions and identifying what you’re feeling is the first step to seeing them from a new perspective. From there, you can start to let things go and move forward with whatever you need to do to feel better.

Chelsea is a Junior at the University of Central Florida majoring in Industrial/Organizational Psychology and minoring in Mass Media. Her hobbies include reading romance and fantasy books, binge-watching Netflix, writing for Her Campus and going to concerts. She dreams of living somewhere in Europe some day with all the books she could read and a few cats.
UCF Contributor