This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Going to the gym has always been intimidating, so when my roommate suggested that we went together, I jumped at the opportunity!

UBC Recreation sells semester-long (Sept-Dec) gym memberships to students for $40. For an additional $80, you can access all the recreational classes offered, including yoga classes, boot camps, and more! UBC Recreation offers a wide variety of classes and access to both gyms (Activities & Recreation Centre + BirdCoop) for an affordable price, and if you aren’t ready to commit to classes you can always try a drop in. 

I went on weekdays and weekends to see what the Activities & Recreation Centre (ARC) at the Life Building had to offer. 

Before arriving at the gym, my roommate and I discussed what exercises and areas of the body we wanted to focus on. Creating a routine is a difficult process: during the workout, I ended up changing plans and a few exercises either because the machines were not available, or because my roommate suggested ones that were more suitable for us. As someone who had only ever worked out in small residence gyms before, it was nice to see a wider variety of machines and weights being offered. 

Another important thing I had to learn while at a bigger gym, was proper gym etiquette. It is important to respect the equipment and others you are sharing the space with. Want to use a machine but see someone else using it? Ask them politely in between their sets to ask how many sets they have left. And do not forget to clean after your turn – nobody wants to use equipment covered in sweat (gross!). It’s also important to note that dropping weights is not allowed in the ARC.

As someone who gets anxious when working out in public, I (thankfully) did not feel that way at ARC. The environment was welcoming and calm, and thanks to my roommate’s guidance I felt sure of what I was doing. I noticed that on weekend mornings there were fewer people than on weekday mornings. 

Overall, going to the ARC was a pleasant experience. Sometimes it takes pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone to find a gym we feel comfortable at. I look forward to working out at the gym now and feel confident doing it. And what a deal for 40$ a term only! I definitely want to try a drop in class next. 

Dania is currently entering her third year and studying at The University of British Columbia, her articles include various topics. During her free time, she can be seen catching sunsets with friends, travelling or playing her red bass.
Hayden is a second year student at the University of British Columbia studying statistics. He enjoys the outdoors and coffee.
Katie is a third year student in the Faculty of Arts at the University of British Columbia, majoring in International Relations. In her free time, she likes watching movies, making Spotify playlists, and thrifting. By writing and editing for Her Campus, she hopes to explore her interest in journalism and writing.