kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

It is no secret that some degree of challenging physical activity is positive for most people. Not everyone can be physically active, but for those that are able to challenge their bodies in one way or another, it is highly recommended that they do so!

Some benefits of physical activity:

• It makes us physically stronger by tearing and then re-building muscles
  • We use the some of the calories we have consumed to produce energy, rather than allowing all of them to become stores of fat (which are not completely bad!)
  • It wakes us up! Blood flow is increased as our hearts pump to get blood to areas that are working extra hard.

Sometimes, the trek to the gym just isn’t that appealing – or we don’t want to wait for a treadmill, or we don’t want to pay for a gym membership, or we don’t like using weights or elliptical machines.

What to do instead?

Here are three easy at-home-workout resources that don’t always require equipment and will do a fine job of waking up those dormant parts of your body! Just don’t forget to have a healthy 4:1 carb:protein ratio afterwards, followed by a good protein-rich snack!

1. Nike+ Training Club (iOS app)This application can be downloaded to your telephone or iPad, and offers you a wide range of workouts that vary in difficulty, muscle group targeted, and duration. Feeling like you need to burn off some negative energy? Try a 45-minute strength workout that will hit every part of the body! Want to tighten up your back muscles or abs, but don’t have a lot of time? Opt for a 15-minute “Focus” workout. Some workouts suggest weights, but those can be replaced with water bottles, textbooks, or any other items with weight!

2. 7-Minute WorkoutThe 7 MWC application is more-or-less exactly what it sounds like: An app that provides a set workout that will take 7 minutes to complete. You are able to set the workout to cycle through more than once, to extend your workout’s duration, but if you are in need of a pick-me-up, and want to get your blood pumping, go for the 7-minute workout! No weights required.

3. Way of Gray (www.wayofgray.com)Way of Gray was created by a young woman from Edmonton, Alberta, named Sophie Gray, who wanted to create easy, at-home workouts that do not require a lot of time but have a big impact! She has four different workout packages that you can purchase on her website (for $10 each, or as part of a bundle with recipe books included), and each package offers 16 unique workouts scheduled to be done in four weeks. The best part is that you can go back and use the workouts on any day in any order you feel like! The workouts generally fall between 15 and 25 minutes in duration. No weights required.

Exercise your mind, spirit, and body, in whatever way that might mean for you!

http://soulmatefood.com/get-active-in-your-own-home-with-our-home-workouts/Image credit.

Katie (she/her) has a Graduate Diploma in Business from Queen's University and a BA in Psychology with a minor in Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice Minor from the University of British Columbia. She is a former Campus Correspondent of HC at UBC and is passionate about people and their wellbeing, photography, and food.