This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Everyday, I hear of new health tips and trends that involve completely transforming your way of life or making unrealistic lifestyle changes. I can guarantee I’m incapable of following any of these trends consistently, so I’m right there with you. The reality is, as a student going through a particularly stressful time, I’m definitely not sleeping a full nine hours or maintaining a strictly regimented daily routine — and I bet you aren’t either. 

Instead of acting like I wake up at six a.m. everyday to hit the gym, take vitamins and minerals, and stay productive throughout the day, I’m here to give you a few simple suggestions that can actually make a difference in boosting your immune system. 

Healthy juices

If you look at any health blog or website, they’ll provide you with a comprehensive list of foods to avoid or minimize. Personally, I believe in intuitive eating and moderation, which doesn’t completely cut anything out from your diet; instead it emphasizes foods that are nourishing and healthy.

My favorite daily routine, and one I’ve hooked my roommates on already, is drinking ginger or turmeric shots in the morning. This one isn’t for everyone, but ginger or turmeric juice kickstarts your immune system. Depending on which brands are available at your local grocery store, the ingredients in these drinks generally include turmeric, ginger root, cayenne, lemon, pepper, and sometimes orange. They’re rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties that help boost your immune system. 

If you’re really against ginger (and don’t worry, I won’t hold it against you!), an alternative is apple cider vinegar. Instead of buying several shot-sized portions of the ginger, you can simply purchase a bottle of apple cider vinegar and drink a tablespoon each morning. Although it’s a simple addition to your morning routine, it’s a rewarding step — this liquid contains antibacterial properties, helpful bacteria, and probiotics that benefit your immune system. 

Continuing on the theme of drinks, I’d also highly recommend having your typical orange juice in the morning. Or, if you’re like me and not into orange juice, a great alternative is celery juice, which contains mineral salts, vitamins, and protective plant substances to combat inflammation. 

Vitamins

Instead of drinking orange juice for a daily dose of Vitamin C, my favorite method is eating Emergen-C gummies. The gummies are better than candy, and I’d be lying if I said I only eat the recommended three a day… 

Along with Vitamin C gummies, I like to use Beekeeper’s Propolis Spray. This may sound like a weird fad, but the spray tastes good and goes a long way. It’s a dietary supplement that’s antioxidant rich, fights off germs, and naturally boosts your immune system. Don’t knock it ’till you’ve tried it!

Have some tea and relax!

At the end of a long day, nothing beats a warm cup of tea. I typically opt for Echinacea tea because of its positive effects on immunity. If you want to get fancy with it, add some natural raw honey for its powerful nutrients.

I also recommend taking a daily probiotic pill to support both your digestive and immune health. Lastly, sleep and relaxation are the most important steps in maintaining a strong immune system; use apps like Calm or Buddhify to relax your mind and body. 

I’m not an expert or a lifestyle coach, and I’m definitely not a doctor — but if I’m certain about one thing, it’s that little changes in my daily routine can have powerful effects on my body and mind. The trick is not to attempt large, unattainable lifestyle shifts. Instead, focus on small things that end up having a positive cumulative effect on your immune system. 

Also, just remember that we’re currently living through unprecedented times, so it’s normal to be stressed. Say it with me: ”stress is normal!” However, stress and anxiety physically manifest themselves in the body and reduce our ability to fight off infections. Coming from someone who was stressed and sick for multiple months last year, I can guarantee these small additions to your daily routine can have larger effects than you realize.

Carly is a senior in the College majoring in PPE and minoring in Consumer Psychology. When she's not cackling at old Vines, she is probably binge watching YouTube videos and treating herself to a relaxing self-care routine. She is an astrology and Sudoku enthusiast and loves reading in her spare time...if that's what her horoscope is telling her to do.