Wellness > Mental Health

My Favorite At Home Spa Day Routine to De-Stress Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Whenever I’m stressed, whether it’s due to finals season at school or just because I have a lot on my mind, two things always make me feel better: organization and self-care. Organization and self-care consistently help calm my body and refocus my mind before I start my work. It’s important to step back from work and stress and instead focus on mental health and physical well-being. 

While school and grades will always be important, mental health and happiness always come first. So, here are a few simple steps you can follow to mentally relax during finals season. 

Clean Your Space 

What I usually do first is simply clean and organize the environment I’m in. I preach this because whether it’s your dorm room or apartment, as the saying goes, a clean space leads to a clean mind. When you’re having trouble focusing on your work, it’s important to clean and organize every part of your room. 

According to U.S. Navy SEAL Vice Admiral William McRaven, “If you want to make a difference in the world, start by making your bed.” Regardless of how insignificant this task may seem, it kick-starts a productive day and gets your morning started the right way.

I like to make sure my bed is neatly made, everything is in its proper place, all my clothes are folded and put away in the closet, and the clutter of stationery items like pens and pencils is organized in my drawers. I know not everyone enjoys cleaning, and it’s easy to think of it as a hassle that you want to procrastinate, but I can guarantee that cleaning the space you’re spending time in helps clear your mind. 

Exercise 

This is a critical step, even when you’re not in the mood to hit the gym. I’ve realized that when the last thing I want to do is work out, it’s usually the best thing for me to do mentally. Even just a quick 20 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill will make you feel more productive, energetic, and happier. Also, often dreaded is stretching at the end of the workout; however, I cannot stress the importance of stretching. Sometimes I go to the gym with the sole purpose of stretching and using the foam rollers. While exercise clears the mind and releases endorphins, stretching helps you feel relaxed and balanced, ready to tackle the next task.

Set The Mood 

I like to make my work environment relaxing and calming in order to take a few moments of the busy day for myself. I do this by lighting fragrant candles to create the vibe of a spa day. Some of my favorite scents are eucalyptus and lavender-scented candles from Amazon, which help you feel invigorated or relaxed. Another favorite is a fun holiday-scented candle from Sephora. Also, lighting is critical to productive work, and I recommend purchasing a Himalayan salt lamp because of its ability to enhance mood, purify the air, raise energy levels, and sharpen concentration. These are subtle, yet effective ways to calm your mind and enhance your mood before you even do anything.

Pamper Yourself 

I know there are a million face masks and self-care products and choosing one can be overwhelming, but you can’t go wrong as long as you use natural products. If I have time, and I’m feeling particularly motivated, I enjoy making my own face masks following reputable online recipes. Another activity I enjoy is dry brushing, which helps exfoliate dry skin, unclog pores, and increase blood circulation. There’s also a meditative quality to it that helps to calm and clear my mind. After I remove the face mask and dry-brush my skin, I like placing hydrating eye patches under my eyes because of their cooling and calming properties.

Rinse Off 

After pampering myself, I enjoy a hot shower. I recommend spraying eucalyptus mist in the shower because it helps with congestion and has a cooling and refreshing effect. I ordered one on Amazon, but they’re also easy to find at many stores. Though I don’t usually have the energy for this, another way to treat yourself and feel both clean and refreshed is to use a quick body scrub. I personally recommend fruit-scented scrubs from Bliss, but you can also make your own with brown sugar and other natural ingredients.

Rest and Recover

After I’ve showered, I like to throw on a comfortable robe and rest for a bit. I recommend a fuzzy Ugg robe because it’s by far the most comfortable item I own, but you can’t really go wrong with a robe. I then make myself a hot cup of tea, preferably sleepy time or chamomile tea, and turn on my heating pad to help ease any stiff muscles, increase blood flow, and relax. I also play some chill music, empty my mind of stress, and sink into my bed until my body is completely at peace.

These steps, small and simple though they may seem, do wonders for my mental health and can for yours too. Although it’s easy to get caught up in the daily stresses of school or work, it’s important to prioritize your mental state and physical well-being. Follow these easy steps for a well-deserved and much needed home spa day, and you’ll never feel more relaxed!

Carly is a senior in the College majoring in PPE and minoring in Consumer Psychology. When she's not cackling at old Vines, she is probably binge watching YouTube videos and treating herself to a relaxing self-care routine. She is an astrology and Sudoku enthusiast and loves reading in her spare time...if that's what her horoscope is telling her to do.