Wellness

8 Ways to Deal with Stress this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

With midterm season starting up, a ton of us are cramming in last–minute study sessions and trying to balance exams with the rest of our life. I know that it’s been extra difficult for me this semester, with everything being online. I’ve gotten pretty stressed out, and I’ve had to find ways to deal with it. Here’s some of the top tips and tricks that I’ve used to help alleviate some of the stress I’ve been feeling this semester:

Meditate

I know this sounds cliché, but I didn’t realize how helpful meditation could be until I tried it out. Don’t get me wrong; it’s really hard for me to sit still for a long time, so I’ve been using guided meditation videos to help me do this. Headspace, a popular meditation app, launched a Netflix series with 20 minute videos to help you get started on your meditation journey. If you don’t have that much time, you can also find 5-10 minute guided meditation videos on YouTube. Whatever you use, I promise that taking some time out of your day and breathing for a bit will help you get rid of some stress.

Go Outside

Since so much of our work is online, we’re often stuck inside, in front of a screen, for hours on end. This makes me feel really boxed in, and I’ve found that going outside or appreciating nature has really helped! I love popping my headphones in and going for a walk, but you can totally go on a run or just sit outside and read a book. If you’re in Philly, make sure to bundle up!

Plan Out Your Day or Week

I often get stressed out because I procrastinate and don’t organize my schedule as well as I should. Something that’s really helped prevent my stress is making a small to-do list for each day. If you have a long assignment, plan one part of that assignment to complete each day. This simplifies daunting tasks and helps you look at what you need to accomplish for each day so that you don’t procrastinate or get overwhelmed!

Meet a Friend (Safely)

Due to COVID-19 and an online semester, the last year has been pretty isolating. That’s why it’s super important to try and find time to meet up with a friend, whether that be over the phone or in person. If you’re super busy with midterms, maybe study together at a library or just over FaceTime. Spending time with your friends can be really helpful in just making you feel less stressed. Sometimes all you need is a good laugh to feel a lot better!

Treat Yourself!!

A lot of times, work can pile up and make you feel like you never catch a break, making you even more stressed. Try and give yourself some sort of a reward after you finish a midterm, super long assignment, or just at the end of the week. You can go shopping, get food from that place you love, or get some ice cream and watch a movie. It’s great to have something to look forward to, and it makes all your hard work worth it!

Take Short Breaks

Sometimes it can feel like you don’t have the time to take a break. However, you’re often more productive when you take small breaks in between working periods because it lets you clear your mind. Take a power nap! Or just stop studying for five minutes and go sit by a window. Take some time to yourself and let your mind calm down a bit — it’s important!

Get Active

Whether it’s doing an hour long workout or just a five–minute yoga video from YouTube, it’s important to get yourself moving. Sitting in front of a computer for hours on end can make you feel stifled and increase your stress. Just put on some music and dance around for a bit! I promise it’ll make you feel a lot better.

Journal

This is my last and most–used tip. I didn’t journal a ton until this year, but it’s really helped me deal with my stress. Seeing my stresses and worries written on a piece of paper makes them feel less overwhelming. It’s also a great way to get out whatever emotions you’re feeling, write a random story, or just doodle.

I know that this time can be difficult mentally, but I believe in all of us. Hopefully, some of these tips are helpful to you. Good luck on midterms — we got this!

Dhatri is a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania who is majoring in Networked and Social Systems Engineering. She's from Michigan, but she's super excited to be spending the next four years in Philly. When she isn't journaling or cooking, you can probably find her somewhere eating ice cream, painting her nails, and listening to Ariana Grande.