Wellness > Mental Health

5 Mental Health Tips to Help Get You Through SAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Not only are the days shorter, with less sunlight, but there’s also the stress of midterms, increased workloads, and family stress over the holidays — all of which can take a toll on everyone’s mental well-being. 

What does this mean? People are experiencing lower moods, more mental health challenges, and, in some cases, Seasonal Affective Disorder — aka SAD (aptly named, I know.)

What exactly is Seasonal Affective Disorder? During fall and winter, when there are fewer daylight hours, many individuals experience depression. So, if this sounds like you, or if you’re experiencing low energy levels, trouble sleeping, and other depression–related symptoms, here are some changes you can make to help boost your mood!

Schedule effectively

One of the most common symptoms of depression is low motivation to be active. One way to help deal with the emotions that accompany this seasonal slump is to change our behaviors and habits — which shifts our thoughts and moods for the better. 

Easier said than done, but here’s some tips. When you’re having a rough day and feel the urge to withdraw, avoid responsibilities, and watch Netflix for 12 hours, do just the opposite. Create a schedule filled with commitments that support your mental health. 

Do your classes inspire you and give you a sense of responsibility? Great! Attending these is your priority for the day. Does lunch with a friend help you feel energized and supported? Schedule a coffee date when you feel a low mood creeping up. 

You get the point. The goal is to create a structure that supports your mental health when you don’t have the motivation. 

get some sunlight

Daylight savings sucks. Less sunlight equals less vitamin D equals lower mood (for some people, of course; this doesn’t impact everyone to the same degree). If you’re someone who feels your mood drop during the winter months, work a bit harder to get some sunlight! Make efforts to go on a walk when it’s sunny out, drink your coffee outside, or take the longer route to class.

Spending time outside has been proven to be great for your mental health, so make this a priority! 

get enough sleep

My top mental health tip, without a doubt — get more sleep! College students are not getting enough sleep, and this deficit is directly correlated to increased mental health challenges. 

College students should be getting seven to nine hours of sleep a night. It’s not easy — but it’s possible if you prioritize it! You don’t need to set aside three hours to unplug and meditate before bed, but give yourself time to stop working and wind down. Schedule at least eight hours of sleep for yourself, and you can even seek out a melatonin supplement if you’re struggling — but consult your doctor first.

socialize regularly

We’re wired to thrive on social connection. In caveman days, people were more likely to survive a saber tooth attack if they were in a tribe than if they were fighting alone. 

This principle still holds true today. Healthy relationships and strong communities lead to improved mental health. Make sure you’re investing in your friendships, surrounding yourself with people who boost your mood, and leaning on others for advice when you need it!

find the support you need

While the above tips are helpful, sometimes we need more support. So, if you’re taking steps to improve your mental health but still struggling, there’s no shame in asking for help. Talking to a therapist or counselor is a great resource to have in your toolkit and can help you navigate challenges more effectively! For Penn students, a great way to start is to contact the CAPS office

Sadie Kilar

U Penn '25

Sadie Kilar is a freshman psychology major at the University of Pennsylvania who is passionate about teen mental health, podcasting, and social media.