bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Create a Healthy Bedroom Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We spend a lot of our time in our bedrooms, whether we’re sleeping, studying, or watching Netflix. If your bedroom is spotless, or it looks like a tornado hit, there are some things that everyone can benefit from to make our bedrooms not only more appealing, but also a healthier living space. Here are 5 tips that will help you mentally and physically unwind, will help you enjoy spending more time in your bedroom, and will also help you get a better night’s sleep.

1. Wash Your Sheets…Often
The way fresh bed sheets feel…OMG.

Even though you’re able to have an equally good sleep without freshly washed sheets, bacteria, oils and sweat that is built up on our skin transfers onto bed linens. This is one of the main causes of acne, so make sure you wash your pillowcases and bed sheets once a week, or every two weeks at most. It will make your sleeping experience way more pleasurable, and your skin will thank you!

2. Unplugging Devices

When we are exposed to light, our body’s natural inclination is to stay awake. Even dim, artificial lights from desk lamps, laptops, phone screens and other devices can prevent us from getting a better quality sleep. According to The Washington Post, blue light from devices prevents “the release of melatonin, a hormone associated with nighttime” and sleeping. The solution: unplug and turn off your devices before you go to bed. If your phone and/or computer needs to charge over night, try charging your devices in a separate room. If you live in a dorm, try plugging your devices as far away from your body as possible. Keeping your devices on sleep and silent would be your next best bet.

3. Fresh Air

If you’re able to, open your window to let fresh air fill your bedroom. Fresh air is calming and refreshing, and if it’s raining outside, can be soothing while you sleep or study. This noise is called “pink noise,” which has been proven to help with falling and staying asleep. Allowing proper air circulation into my bedroom helps to prevent feelings of confinement and restlessness, which can impact sleep quality and attention. If opening a window isn’t an option, keep your bedroom door opened, if possible.

4. Candles

Candles create a relaxed, Zen vibe in any space. The more relaxed an environment is, the more relaxed we become, and feelings of stress and anxiety diminish. The relaxation associated with lighting candles increases the effects of concentration and promotes fewer headaches, decreased muscle tension, reduced blood pressure and heart rate, and enhances mood. Now, who wouldn’t want all of that while cramming for a test?

5. Tidy Your Space  

According to the Journal of Neuroscience, studies show that clutter is distracting, and “while looking at too many things at once, [it] overloads your visual cortex and interferes with your brain’s ability to process information.” Whether it’s de-cluttering your desk, throwing away garbage and empty bottles in your room, or simply folding your clothes, everything helps to enhance your focus.

Let us know in the comments below if you try any of these tips for yourself, or suggest any of your own!