This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Another year, another New Year’s resolution. The days go by, and you tell yourself every morning that you’re finally going to go to the gym, but it just never seems to end up happening. Not enough time, not enough energy – whatever your excuse is, just stop. We live in an information age where we are constantly being bombarded with facts as to why exercising is essential to living a healthy life. There is no excuse as to why we can’t make time to take care of ourselves, especially when we have all of the tools laid out in front of us, both online and in person. However, I do understand the struggle of being in the dark when it comes to fitness. I understand how challenging and terrifying it is to walk into a gym for the first time. A dungeon full of strangers who look like they know exactly what they’re doing. The thought of it at one point was daunting. I was there before. Every person you see in the gym, expert or not, all started in the same place: in the gym. It took a lot of effort to show up and get started, but once a rhythm was developed, it became an outlet, a sacred place, and a second home.

2016 is the year that YOU are going to change your body, and your whole perspective on health. Put down your Starbucks, your Ruffles and your Tim Horton’s muffin, and get started on the journey that will put you in the best shape and mental health of your life. Here’s a beginner’s guide to getting started in the gym. Starting research online is an overwhelming task, so I’ve created 8 tips that will make your fitness journey a little easier to tackle.

1. Create a plan
YouTube is your best friend. There are thousands of videos specifically geared towards women on legs, butt, arms and abs workouts, and everything in between. If you want to try out an arm workout tomorrow, look up some arm workouts on YouTube, write them down on your phone or a piece of paper, and bring that reference into the gym with you. For a new exercise, I’ve found it helpful to write down each step of that exercise so that I remember how to perform it correctly. Writing it all down, being on a schedule and knowing what to do next will help you stay focused, and will prevent you from aimlessly wandering around the gym. This plan doesn’t have to be elaborate.  Start with 3 or 4 exercises with light weights and work your way up. Baby steps.

2. Wear comfortable clothing
Your gym attire should be comfortable with a lot of give to it, while still being flattering. I don’t know about you, but I don’t feel my best wearing an oversized baggy t-shirt. Once you get the hang of going to the gym, you will begin to feel more confident with your mastering of workout techniques and the results you achieve. I find it to be a disincentive to be looking at myself in the gym mirror wearing bagging clothing because I feel… blah. Slim fit clothing is great because it’s flattering while still being appropriate. Wearing super tight clothing doesn’t work for everyone, and wearing booty shorts are not always comfortable to wear, so pick something easy that is no fuss. You want to feel secure in your clothes.

3. Listen to music
Make a playlist that keeps you in the zone. Whatever your flavour, blocking out external noise will allow you to pay attention to what you’re doing, and not what anyone else is doing.

4. Watch yourself, not others
When you’re exercising, watch yourself in the mirror. Watch your form, your posture, your grip – everything. This is one of the most important aspects of working out. Watching yourself will help you pay attention to your movements so that you don’t injure yourself. Don’t pay attention to other gym-goers. Even if you don’t feel completely comfortable, and feel like all eyes are on you, just know that people are not paying attention to you. This is not to sound rude! The truth is, people are focused on themselves in the gym. They’re paying close attention to their form and their workout, and are only worried about themselves. So take a breath, and relax.

5. Try a class
OK, so YouTube was a bust. Now what? There’s no harm in trying a fitness class. There are many group fitness classes on campus. You’ll be able to learn basic moves without worrying about relying on yourself to come up with the next exercise. Plus, it’s a great way to make friends! If a group setting is intimidating to you, you could try working with a personal trainer on campus. They will be able to tailor a workout to your specific needs, but keep in mind that this can become costly; however, there’s no harm in giving it a try!

6. Be reasonable
Ease into this. Don’t start your workout using a weight that the girl beside you is doing. Pick a lighter weight, or a weight that you feel comfortable doing, and work up to a heavier weight. The worst thing you can do is push yourself with a weight that your body cannot handle. This is one of the most common mistakes that leads to injuries, and trust me, hurting yourself could be a disincentive to going to the gym.

7. Use weights!
It really makes me sad when I speak with girls who are still under the impression that lifting weights will make them look “bulky” or “manly.” Weights are your best friend for toning your body, building sexy curves, and leaning you out. Not convinced, and still don’t want to look “bulky?” Here’s something to keep in mind: your body continues to burn calories for hours after you’ve finished weight training. After doing straight cardio, you’re body is finished burning calories. You will NOT get bulky from weight training, trust me. I am in the best shape of my life because of weight training, and I love my curves. 

8. Bring a healthy post-workout snack
If you put in the effort in the gym, you have to replenish. After a workout, you want something high in protein and carbohydrates with a little bit of sugar. Things like Greek yogurt, a piece of fruit, and some nuts or a protein bar are some great options.

A few years ago, I made the decision to go to the gym. It was an intimidating experience, but I can’t express how proud I am of myself for taking that first step. I have developed incredible discipline from incorporating this into my life, and I wouldn’t be where I am today without all of the help I had along the way. Having poor self-esteem, I understand how difficult this mental journey is. I continue to learn, make mistakes, and push myself because the journey lasts a lifetime. I’ve never been happier, and have never been more confident than I am today. I hope to inspire as many young women as I can to achieve their goals and be the best that they can be, both physically and spiritually. My advice: take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself. I promise that once you take that first step, you’ll never look back.

Good luck! 

Source
1