ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Beginner’s Guide to Meditation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As Collegiettes, we know that sometimes life can get just a little too stressful. With so much coming at us from all angles, it is easy to get overwhelmed and lose focus. Too much stress can take a huge toll on our bodiesBecause of this, it’s important to find ways to help us through the thing called “life.”

Meditation a is great practice to add into your daily routine. It will help with quieting the mind and maintaining stress. The art is 100% about focusing and reflecting (which is exactly what we need)! The practice comes with a myriad of well-publicized health benefits, including: increased concentration, decreased anxiety, and a general feeling of happiness.

Before meditating, you need a one thing: a positive, open and relaxed mind. Remember, the simple goal of meditation is to bring more focus and clarity to your mind.

Turn on some soothing music to create the proper environment:

• Choose a time to meditate: Sessions can start out short in the beginning, but the general amount of time you should shoot for is between 20-30 minutes. Make meditation a priority in your daily routine! Treat this as the time to press the refresh button for your body.
  • Keep an elevated posture: Keeping an elevated posture will make you feel more open and aware of your body.
  • Focus on your breath: A main goal during mediation is to focus your attention on breathing in and out. Focusing on your breath lowers stress levels and reduces anxiety.
  • Acknowledge your thoughts: You want to remain completely present while meditating. Stressful thoughts of homework, break-ups, money, etc. will enter into your mind when you’re trying to concentrate. Acknowledge those thoughts and then bring yourself back by controlling your breathing.
  • Try NOT to fall asleep: I know it will be easy to dose off at some points, but try not to! This is your time to center yourself with the universe. Stay focused on your posture and breathing.
  • Maintain your practice: While meditation itself isn’t easy to master, the rewards you reap from continued practice are well worth it. So make this a part of your life, and you will see the benefits!

Meditation is an absolutely wonderful practice, but can be difficult for beginners (don’t be discouraged if it is hard to stay focused)! It takes a lot of practice to be able to stay still and not allow your “to-do” list to creep into your mind. Luckily, UMass has a student-led meditation group right here on campus. Every Tuesday and Wednesday, 5:30pm-6:30pm, in the Campus Center. They are free and all are welcome! 

Samantha McGarry

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst