This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

As we spiral back into the school year, we always start thinking about our goals. If you’re like me, or like ninety percent of the population, our goals almost always involve getting back into the gym. We say things like, “Let’s go to the gym every day this year!” and after about a week we instead end up picking anything else over the gym. Between being stuck in the library during the school week and being stuck on your couch watching Sex and the City reruns on the weekends, we find it hard to prioritize working out and almost never look forward to it. But what a lot of people don’t realize is how many options they can replace the gym with! Here’s how you can make the gym work out for your schedule (no pun intended) on a zero time crunch day.

1. Take a fitness class

We are naturally going to prioritize what we feel obligated to do. If you sign up for any sort of fitness classes, canceling is going to be much more of a hassle than simply just going to the class. Working these into your schedule can help you focus on doing homework at a different time so you create time for these classes. Fitness instructors will ensure that you have a short and efficient workout, and you can sign up for a variety of classes, like spin, hot yoga, Zumba, and Pilates.

2. Becoming a morning person

Waking up for an 8am is understandably hard enough, but becoming the person who goes to the gym in the morning is a lifestyle change. In fact, Dr. Cedric Bryant of the American Council of Exercise said that, “morning workouts result in better energy levels throughout the day and give you more mental alertness and sharpness.” Now, imagine sitting in your 8am and not feeling like you need to go back into bed immediately. It’s not often that we have obligations before 8, so you’ll always have time to squeeze in that morning workout and feel better about your day.

3. Going for a run/walk
Not every great workout is done in the gym. Running is not only a quick way to burn calories and feel good, it can also take as little or as much time as you want. A run anywhere between 15 and 20 minutes can help you clear your mind, sleep better at night, and can be easily worked into your schedule. Walking also can be easily worked into a college schedule, just by taking a couple days out of the week to get up a little earlier to walk to class instead of driving, and replacing hard gym workouts that can always be dreadful with a more leisurely walk. Brisk walking is known to raise endorphins so stress levels will go down, and energy levels will go up.

4. Multitasking
As odd as this sounds, a great way to stay in shape is to study while working out. A lot of times I’ll see people putting up a book or notes on their treadmill or elliptical. Not only is this effective in working out, but studying while working out is actually proven to help you remember the material better.

5. If all else fails, your diet will save you

If you really have absolutely zero time to squeeze in even an ab workout, your diet will come in handy in keeping you in shape this year. You know the quote “Being fit is done 20% in the gym and 80% in the kitchen?” That rings true. What you put in your body can boost or drain your energy levels, metabolism, and motivation. One thing to always remember is to carry water around during your day in order to prevent dehydration and fatigue. Pack a lunch instead of buying food, because there’s a good chance that what you’re packing will be significantly better for you than what you’ll buy. Incorporating cheap and convenient foods into your meals, even the little things like buying frozen vegetables, almonds or nuts, and granola bars can help to keep you energized and in shape during your school day.

Maddy is a junior at the University of Maine. She is from right outside of Worcester, Massachusetts. She is an English major and wants to become a journalist. In her free time, she skis, hikes, reads and hangs out with her friends.