This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Coming from an avid gym goer, I know how difficult it can be to make it to the gym when the cold weather hits. However, getting to the gym or simply doing workouts at home can boost your mood! Whether you’re new to the world of fitness or simply wanting more ways to exercise, I’ve included some workouts for you to try anywhere.

I’ve created a few HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts that I personally use a few times a week for you to use either at the rec or at home! For HIIT exercises, they’re usually 20-30 seconds of maximum effort followed by 15-20 seconds of recovery. I use a timer app called Intervals to complete my workouts.

If you’re unsure of how to perform any of the exercises below, Spotebi is a great website that demonstrates each move, check it out here

Perform each set 3 times – 30 seconds work – 20 seconds rest – 1 minute rest between completed set

– Burpees 

– Sit-ups

– Kettlebell swings

– Plank

– Medicine ball slams

– Jumping jacks

REST 1 minute

– High knees

– Inchworms

– Bicycles

– Bodyweight squats

– Jump rope

– Wall sit

If you’re looking at the above workout thinking there’s no way in hell that’s happening, girl, I feel you.

Here’s an interval exercise on the lighter side:

Perform each set 3 times – 30 seconds work – 20 seconds rest – 1 minute rest between completed set

Jumping jacks

Donkey kicks left leg

Donkey kicks right leg

Bodyweight squats

Sit-ups

REST 1 minute

Jump rope

Russian twists

Leg raises

Knee push-ups

Jump squats

If you can find any time to give one of these workouts a try, go for it! I know working out isn’t easy but your mind and body will thank you.

Image Credit: 1, GIF

Hi! I'm Lauren and I'm a sophomore at the University of Iowa majoring in communication studies and minoring in sports and rec management