Wellness

5 Ways To Live A Healthier Lifestyle In The New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

We made it! 2018 was a great year in many ways, but also a year where my plans of living a healthy lifestyle never quite came to be.  You might have ended 2018 feeling frustrated. You might have lost sight of the health goals you had set for yourself earlier in the year. It happens! The New Year is as good a time as any to try again or adjust the goals you had set previously if you need to. Here are 5 tips sure to get you started on the right path!

Don’t neglect your mental health. There so many routes you can take to make sure that yours is in check.  Free mental health resources on campus, provide free and confidential support. Take advantage of it! Take time for yourself. Journal, read, meditate. The list goes on

Workout. Exercise is one of the best ways to improve both your physical and mental health but if the though of the gym makes you shudder, at-home workouts may be an option to consider. YouTube channels such as Fitness Blender and Blogilates  are a great way to get fitter right from the comfort of your bedroom.

Drink more water.  You’ve heard it a dozen times for a reason. Staying hydrated is a great way to relieve fatigue, flush out toxins and improve digestion, not to mention it can improve the look and texture of your skin. This reusable water bottle is a good place to start.

Eat home-cooked meals. Not only will this save you the cost of eating out, its also a chance to explore new recipes and eat more nutritiously.

Images courtesy of:

1

2

3

4

5

Ver-Se Denga

U Alberta '21

Ver-Se is in her 4th year of uni, studying Biology and Psychology and serving as Senior Editor of the UAlberta Chapter. She loves to read and can't imagine a world without Chimamanda Adichie in it.
Breanne D

U Alberta '19

Co-founder and proud alumna of Her Campus at UAlberta.