Life > Experiences

5 Tips for Running a 5k From a Non-Runner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Over the past weekend, I participated in my first 5k race. For me, it was not a race by any means. My goal was not to win; it was simply to prove to myself that I could do it. While my finishing time was 30 minutes and 34 seconds, almost two times the amount of time it took the winner to finish, my training was never about being the first to the finish line. I wanted to see how far I could push my body to adapt to something new and unfamiliar. I learned many valuable lessons on my running journey that many distance runners would not think to share with the rest of us non-runners. Here, I have five of the most valuable things that I took from my nine months of training. 

1. Do yourself a favor and get fitted for proper running shoes. 

When I first decided to dedicate nine months to training for a 5k, I realized that my everyday sneakers would not cut it. They lacked proper support for my flat feet. Shortly after beginning my training, I realized that investing in a pair of running shoes would be in my (and my feet’s) best interest. 

When you embark on your running-shoe journey, I recommend seeking out an expert opinion. I ended up with a pair of Brooks, which were the best fit for my personal goals. Their Launch 8 model is best for neutral speed, which I was advised was most appropriate for beginners in their training. Working with a knowledgeable runner when picking out your running shoes will undoubtedly make running a much more enjoyable experience.

2. Stay consistent with training, but do not push yourself over the edge. 

Lost on how to run, how far to run, and how long to run, I turned to Couch to 5k, like many other non-runners looking to check their first 5k off their bucket list. This app features a 9-week training plan that consists of 3 runs a week. Each week, the runs become increasingly more challenging. By week 6, you run for 31 minutes – a 5-minute warm-up, a 21-minute run, and a 5-minute cool-down. I do not believe that I would have developed a positive outlook on running if I had not invested in Couch to 5k. 

In addition to whichever training plan you select, keep in mind the importance of rest days. Overworking your body not only leads to injury and illness but can also become draining from a mental perspective. Running over 3 miles every day without proper rest days and progression can lead to instant burnout and a lack of motivation towards your goal. Instead, implement cross-training such as swimming, cycling, or light weightlifting into your training plan. In addition to cross-training, 2-3 rest days a week are necessary for proper recovery. 

Another notable mention is the implementation of yoga into a training program. As someone with high-functioning anxiety, yoga was always a challenging form of exercise. I could never get myself into the proper headspace that yoga required. However, I realized that it – similar to running – takes patience and repetition. I fell in love with Yoga with Adriene and began to admire Adriene Mishler as not only an instructor from right here in Austin but someone who is down to earth and connected with herself and her world. 

3. Food is fuel! 

When I was in high school, I never understood why members of the cross country team could eat so much food, specifically high-carb foods like pasta, and still stay lean. It was not until I started running that I realized how large of an impact food has on your energy and stamina levels during a run. If you are not properly nourished, you will feel lethargic and sluggish on your run. I found that eating 3 meals a day that consisted of a balanced amount of carbs, such as pasta, rice, and quinoa, protein, such as eggs, chicken, beef, tofu, fish, and vegetables such as Brussel sprouts, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, allowed me to complete my daily runs without feeling completely depleted of all energy. While there are many food plans on the internet that you could follow, I found that eating intuitively worked best for me. If I wanted a cheeseburger and fries one night for dinner, I walked over to the grill in the dining hall and asked for one. I never allowed my mindset to limit what I ate, which I feel is an essential aspect of a healthy training plan. 

4. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate even more

While I am an avid water drinker and always have been, many people fail to realize how much water can impact your body. Without proper hydration, your muscles cannot function to their fullest extent, causing cramping and excessive soreness. If you happen to live in a Southern state, or a region that experiences high heat and humidity like Texas, I highly recommend grabbing yourself a 32 oz Hydro Flask for daily use. I also drank many bottles of Coconut water and Liquid I.V. throughout my training, which helped me not only feel better throughout my runs but throughout my day. 

5. Progress does not require perfection 

In all honesty, the results of my 5k were not what I wanted them to be. However, I acknowledged that I was very sick for two out of the nine weeks of my training, which threw me off of my schedule. In addition to the factor of illness, the race course was hard. It contained brutal winds, steep Texas hill-country inclines and declines, and humid pre-rain conditions. Despite the barriers faced, I was beyond proud of myself for waking up at 6 a.m and accomplishing the goal that I set for myself. I do not feel defeated that I did not make the time I had originally planned to, I feel elated that I stuck to something and saw it through. Running, like any other form of exercise, does not always show instant results. Mentally, I pushed myself and became stronger throughout my nine months of training. 

Casey is a third-year student at the University of Texas at Austin pursuing a journalism degree and a business Spanish certificate. She is currently a food editorial intern at Camille Styles and where she writes and publishes food and lifestyle pieces. In her free time, Casey enjoys cooking, traveling, and practicing yoga. IG: caseymckee_ Blog: KeenlyCasey.com Twitter: casey.mckee7