Wellness

An Update on My New Year’s Resolution to Eat Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For the past year, I vowed to start eating healthy. Though it took me a really long time to stick to that goal, I can now say that I’ve stuck to my New Year’s Resolution and have been eating healthier foods for the past month. Now, you’re probably wondering what I defined as, “healthy.” Does that mean that I can never have a chocolate chip cookie or some ice cream ever again? No. I don’t think so. For me, it means that I see desserts, junk food, and other treats, as just that, treats, so I no longer eat them every day. Instead, I reward myself with a cheat day on the weekends when my friends want to go out to dinner or grab a drink. It gives me something to look forward to, and I enjoy that delicious sweet even more than I would have in the past when I had it all the time.

Image source.

Don’t get me wrong, I love junk food as much as the next girl. I truly never thought that I would be able to go two weeks without eating pasta, or an entire month without eating candy, but I promise you it’s doable, just as long as you don’t tell yourself that you’re never going to satisfy your sweet tooth ever again. Like I’m sure you’ve heard many people say, it’s all about balance, because most things in moderation truly are okay. Despite the misconception is that eating healthier is really expensive, you don’t have to break the bank! While nutritious foods might not be as cheap as certain junk foods, the little bit more you spend on salads, chicken, eggs, etc. will pay off in the long run, and you’ll thank yourself for it later! I’ve also realized that I used to eat much larger portion sizes, not because I was actually hungry, but because my brain kept saying, “That looks good. Eat more.” Now instead, I listen to my stomach when it tells me that I’m full. I know a lot of people choose to eat healthy or diet because they’re trying to lose weight. While that’s definitely a viable option, for me, it was a chance to change my lifestyle. I feel better every day, I’m less tired, and I have more energy. So if you’re trying to eat healthier for yourself, do it! It’s definitely an adjustment, but I promise you, it’s not impossible! It’s extremely worth it. Here’s to eating healthier – who’s with me?

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.