Wellness

Trust Me When I Say You Don’t Have to be a Runner to Run a Half Marathon 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Imagine you’re running down the last stretch of your race. The wind is blowing in your eyes, but you can see the last mile marker as you keep moving with every bit of energy you have left. The crowd is cheering you on as you finally cross the finish line. Running is exhilarating, and one of the best feelings is finishing a good run. You don’t have to consider yourself a runner to participate in these races; they are totally for everyone. Marathons are also a great way to explore the natural beauty and architecture of the city you’re running in. All you need is some training and lots of determination. 

The Austin Marathon will be held on February 19th, 2023 in downtown Austin! With a 5k, half marathon, and marathon option available, there is something for everyone to participate in. Austin’s beautiful scenery with its unique landscape and breathtaking houses creates the perfect environment to run in. There is something to appreciate in every corner of the city, and the best way to experience it is through running (and walking too!). You can sign up to run here!

If you have never run before or don’t have much time to train, the 5k is a great starting place to begin your running journey. Running can seem pretty daunting, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. A healthy diet and running two to three miles a couple times a week is pretty much all you need to prepare for the 5k. If you have more time to dedicate to training, the half marathon is totally worth it. 13.1 miles sounds like a lot, but training for it does not require running thirteen miles every day. The best way to train for a half marathon without burning yourself out mentally or physically is looking to train four to five times a week alternating between short sessions and long sessions. Aim to run four to six miles for your short training sessions and ten to thirteen miles for long sessions. When first starting out, try having four short training sessions and two long training sessions per week. You can increase to half and half once you feel more comfortable with your training. Some tips to keep in mind is to listen to your body but know you are more capable than you think. 

Running can seem daunting or exhausting at first, but running in a race is extremely rewarding seeing all your hard work pay off. If you have ever thought about running a half marathon or marathon but were too nervous or unmotivated to do it, here is your sign to go for it. I encourage everyone to give running a try. You are absolutely capable of accomplishing this, and you may even find yourself a new passion!

Vinathi Golkonda is the Secretary at the Her Campus TAMU chapter. She manages member information and keeps chapter members informed about upcoming events and reminders. Her writing mainly covers her experiences in college and events happening around campus. Outside of Her Campus, Vinathi serves as the Executive Director of Operations for the Texas A&M Student Senate where she manages records and curates content for its social media platforms. Vinathi is currently a sophomore at Texas A&M University majoring in Electrical Engineering and minoring in Mathematics and Computer Science. Aside from writing, her hobbies include playing piano, listening to music, doing henna, and hiking. She has visited over 20 National Parks and Monuments over the past 11 years and loves nature. Vinathi thoroughly enjoys watching reality television shows, especially Love is Blind and Indian Matchmaking on Netflix.