Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

Meditation: Should I Be Practicing Mindfulness?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Meditation has created a resurgence in society in the last couple of years as yoga, mindfulness and overall healthy lifestyles have become “on trend”. Meditation is a practice that trains the mind and requires deep concentration. But, don’t let this scare you. Meditation practices or tips for leading a more mindful life have become streamlined and easily obtainable. The following tips are designed to help young people enter the world of meditation with ease! 

1. Headspace. Headspace is a user-friendly app that allows for guided meditation for all levels. There is a free trial for beginners. Guided meditations vary in a range of different concentrations like anxiety, running and sleep. 

2. Spotify. Spotify has an entire genre of podcasts dedicated to meditation. Sam Harris is a popular name for all things health and mindfulness as an outcome of meditation. Also, “Mind Massage” is a very straight forward guided meditation podcast that includes several short episodes. 

3. Youtube. YouTube offers a wide range of channels for guided meditation. A simple search will offer you pages of guided tapes ranging in voice, occasion, and focus. 

4. Mediation Space: be flexible! This entry to the meditation world can be powered by various mediums using your phone. This allows for full mobility meaning a quick mediation session can be done almost anywhere when you have access to these resources. For example in your car, a park bench, on a weekend away or as you take a nature walk. Look out for small opportunities to strengthen your mind-body relationship on the go! 

Disclaimer: Her Campus St. Law U is neither affiliated with nor sponsored by any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.