This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Honestly, The truth about losing weight is that it is such a personal journey, it is impossible, and poisonous to relate your journey of losing weight to someone else. I am not the size two that was photoshopped on the front of a magazine. I am curvey. And I think that it is unrealistic of me to want the body of someone else, when I was blessed with my own.

See I struggle with my weight, always have, and I assume that I always will because Weightloss is a journey. So I asked some women that I know to help me with this conversation. They are women who have taken beautiful steps to their healthy lives. This is my shout out to them because they are my encouragement to eating well and getting my lazy butt to the gym.

Katy Reidy:

Instagram: fitness.kitt

Over the years in college I have definitely had my fair share of issues with body image and self confidence.  My greatest struggle was finding a balance and learning the difference between the “perfect” body image a lot of girls strive for, and what it actually means and looks like to be healthy. I started my instagram as a senior project and continued using it as more of a personal diary to hold myself accountable.  I never thought anyone would find it.  I cringe when I hear girls say “I’ve barely eaten anything all day” as if its an accomplishment, or when a friend looks in the mirror and says “I look huge.” It’s taken me years and so many mistakes so come to a place where my goal is to love myself no matter how i look, instead of constantly picking apart what I want to change.

What would you say is your workout motto/inspiration?

Do something today that you will be proud of tomorrow.

What advice do you have for women struggling with their weight?

Finding something that you enjoy rather than find as a chore, because it’s the only way that you are going to stick with it in the long run. Also, Remember that results take time so you need to enjoy yourself along the way.  So many girls focus on weight loss, the number on the scale, and the size of their clothes but they forget to recognize their physical health and the emotional/mental strain they are putting themselves through when they consistently criticize themselves. My greatest piece of advice for those who want to lose weight is to simply strive to live an all over healthier lifestyle.  Find a way to stay active that you enjoy- whether that is going to the gym, playing a sport, taking walks with friends, doing yoga ect.  If you are forcing yourself to workout in a way that you do not enjoy you are bound to give it up sooner or later.  When it comes to nutrition- try to pick the healthier option as much as you can, BUT do NOT restrict yourself and tell yourself this good and this food is bad.  Everything is okay in moderation, and letting yourself enjoy the “unhealthy” foods you love in moderation will keep you from forming uncontrollable cravings and bingeing on it in the future.  Don’t forget to tend to your mental health because it is just as important as your physical appearance.  Take “me time” and do what makes you happy, sometimes that just means sitting in bed with a cup of coffee and writing down everything you have accomplished that week, some things you are proud of yourself for, or what you like about yourself.  It’s okay to be self-centered sometimes!

What is your proudest moment?

I think I would probably say the day that I looked in the mirror while I was at the gym and realized that the reason I  was there was for myself.  I had been looking to see if I was stronger rather than if I had gotten smaller or if someone else would think i looked good

Catie Dumont:

Instagram: fit.dumont

I would say my workout motto is to never compare yourself to anyone except who you were yesterday. I think women always struggle and look at each other and think, “why don’t I look at her? Why am I not as strong as her?” Etc, and that really allows us to get discouraged. But when you compare yourself to where you were a few months ago, you see your improvement and that makes you proud of how far you’ve come rather than looking at how far you have to go.

My advice to women who struggle with their weight is to learn to workout because you love your body, not as a punishment for what you ate or because you hate what your body looks like. When you have such a negative body image it’s really hard to stay motivated and you end up falling into the same cycle of working out for a few weeks, not seeing results, losing motivation, going back to old ways, and then trying to get back into the workout routine a month later. I have learned to not think of working out as a “chore”. I have changed my perspective to see it as an opportunity to get my frustrations out in a positive way, get healthier, have a better mindset, and gain confidence. When I changed my perspective I changed my lifestyle.

What is your proudest fitness moment?

I think my proudest fitness moment is seeing the results of my dedication and hard work. Working on myself is probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but it’s also been the most rewarding. When you trust the process of eating healthy, working out, and cutting out some of the negativity in your life, that’s when the magic happens. There’s no pill, waist trainer, or drink to give you your dream body. You have to put in the work and your body will reward you once you do. Stay strong, believe in yourself, and know that you deserve to be happy in your body.

Lindsey Huffman:

Insta: huffmanlfitness

Last September I was in a weird place in my life. I didn’t know who I was and needed something to turn my life around. Since then I’m a different person on the inside and out. My fitness journey has been the most rewarding thing I’ve done this far in my life. It has brought me confidence that I never had before and ultimately a purpose to succeed in everything I do.

A workout inspiration of mine has truly been myself. Originally I made my Instagram to motivate myself, but didn’t realize it would motivate others as well. With all the support I’ve gotten with the Instagram it has helped me push even harder for my fitness goals.

For women who struggle with weight, I would like to say I have been in your shoes. I know what it’s like to not feel confident in yourself or not feel wanted. But it’s not recognition from people it’s believing in yourself that you can make that lifestyle change. Working out isn’t for everyone, dieting is 80% of it. Just doing the little things here or there will really make an impact.

What Is your proudest fitness moment?

One of my proudest fitness moments was hopping on the scale in February and seeing within 5 months I was down 40lbs. 

Nothing is easy and everything takes time, but if truly want something do it!

So here is the thing, you need to be patient with yourself. It takes time. And positive vibes. Learning to eat the healthier option and going to the gym with some friends. I hate running, so you won’t find me running all that often, but I love swimming. Therefore I have been getting myself to the night swim hours at the gym. Take care of you, and love you. Because you is who you have, plus it takes a lot more energy to hate something, than it does to change it. Everyday is a new day to take better care of yourself. 

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.