I Followed the Fitness Trends at SSU and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Fitness trends have been hitting the internet and becoming a bigger interest to the majority of college students. Many have become obsessed with working out, eating right, and posting about it because we all know if you don’t post it it didn’t happen. I decided to pick up on the fitness trend for a week and check out what the SSU recreation center has to offer. For those of you like me in my first semester who don’t even know where the rec center is located, it is the building across from the student center and Lobo’s. I must admit I have only been there a few times to use the treadmill and other basic equipment. So to follow the fitness trend I decided to try some of the classes they offer and expand my scope of working out. I tried three different classes and here’s what I found out….

If you do not have an all access pass to the gym ($44 per semester), the good news is that drop in classes are only between $3-$4 for a 45-60 minute class. You won’t find a better deal at any gym. And if you need a little boost of motivation you can try one of the many fitness challenges the rec center puts on throughout the year. Sign up and track your progress to win prizes! Also keep an eye out for the inMotion Free Weeks to get access to free classes.

Meditative Yoga

I have always been into yoga and thought of myself as an aspiring yogi, so I decided to give the yoga class at the SSU rec center a try. The first yoga class I took was highly restorative and easy going. We transitioned between basic moves slowly and carefully. The last half of the class we spent laying down on our backs with our feet straight up against the wall. We were guided through a meditation where the instructor spritzed a blend of essential oils over each person to help them relax into the meditation. I left the class feeling energized, grounded, and had a real sense of self care.

Intense Yoga

Because I liked the first yoga class so much I decided to try another one with a different teacher to learn different teaching styles. The first ten minutes of the class seemed like any other yoga class I had been to which started by concentrating on breathing, centering yourself, and slowly warming up before entering into more dynamic moves. After getting further into the workout my heart started racing. This workout was definitely challenging. I was holding poses longer than ever before with the option to  do a beginner, intermediate, or advanced version of each pose. I pushed myself and switched from intermediate to advanced variations of each pose.

Cycling

I chose to try the cycling class because getting winded on my ten minute bike ride to school every morning had me feeling very out of shape, and this class kicked my butt. I was nervous going into this class because my cardio stamina is not very good. However, I faced my fears and gave it a try. The instructor was very encouraging and the music and energy in the room made it very fun. The inclines and speed increases were difficult to say the least, but at the end of the class I felt amazing. A tip for this class is to make sure you are hydrated before and during the class.

Following the fitness trend and getting outside of my normal comfort zone while working out made me feel more energized, more likely to eat a healthier meals throughout the day, and more confident about myself. Even though I am usually the last person to follow a trend, I found the SSU classes to be encouraging, challenging, and relaxing, while making me feel all around better physically and emotionally. I would recommend trying some of the classes offered at the rec center during your time at SSU, especially because of the low cost.

Hi I'm Ari. I love all things nature.There is beauty all around us, we just have to look to really see it. I love anything yoga, cheese, crystals, hula hooping, eating and traveling.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma