This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

July 24th marked International Self Care Day so I just wanted to take the time to tell you what exactly self care is especially for African American women attending an HBCU. Self care isn’t just about pampering yourself. It’s also about taking the time to do things that please you, put you at ease, and putting yourself first all while taking proper care of yourself and treating yourself. You’re doing things “for you, by you.” Some girls struggle with putting themselves first but this is very essential. Make some time for yourself every once in a while! It will help you gain more self knowledge, relax and lay off some anxiety, and also enhance your self esteem. Here’s some tips to help you: 

• First things first, encourage yourself daily, and speak against the naysayers and doubts that say you’re not good enough. As black women, we’re looked down on sometimes which can be discouraging but as long as you motivate and believe in yourself, you will soar!
  • Take a break! Life can get hectic when you’re busy trying to make money and do schoolwork or even tend to a relationship. Try taking a short break during the day. 
  • Exercise! Not only will this help you physically, but it will also help you mentally by releasing stress and anxiety. 
  • Take a nap! When things get to overwhelming for me, I take a short nap then wake up and try again. 
  • Be selfish for once! Take some time to today to do one thing YOU want to do. 
  • Learn to say no! It’s not a crime to say no to something you’re not really feeling It  
  • Compliment yourself daily. I’ll save this for another article but this has definitely helped boost my self esteem. 
  • Have a self date. Plan a day where you take yourself shopping and grab a bite of your favorite meal and just simply enjoy your own company and alone time. 
  • Laugh and smile more! Stop all of that mean-mugging and smile more at people. When you look happy, you’ll start to feel happy. 
Vanessa is an ambitious, optimistic, and hard working young woman who dedicates her time to anything meant to better herself. She’s always wanted to inspire others and leave a positive impact for others. She’s always enjoyed reading, writing, socializing, and absolutely all things entertainment which was why she chose to pursue a major in Mass Communications.