11 Ways To Be Kinder to Yourself Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Sometimes, you just need a little reminder to take a break and give yourself some love and I am here to remind you today. Whether you are homesick, stressed about exams or just feeling down, you can always fall back on these simple happiness-boosts.

Let yourself do something you love, even if you feel like you don’t have the time.

Take as little as thirty minutes to remind yourself there are things that bring you joy. Maybe it’s art, music, YouTube, reading or writing. No matter what it is, it will make you feel happy.

Remind yourself that your thoughts aren’t always facts.

You are not a fortune teller; you do not know what is going to happen in your future. You are not a mind reader; you do not know that others are really judging you. Before you let your thoughts take over, consider whether or not they are true.

Treat yourself.

This doesn’t have to be anything special, but in order to be kind to yourself, you have to let yourself indulge in small pleasures sometimes. This might be an ice cream, a new lip color or binge-watching your favorite show after a super hard exam. Go get it, girl.

Write down your favorite affirmations.

If you aren’t familiar with affirmations, consider looking into them! They have been a life-saver for me since I entered college. Louise Hay has some fantastic ones to keep with you at all times, or you can come up with your own!

Make a gratitude list.

Sometimes, it feels like our thoughts are racing, and many of them are negative. So, be kind to yourself and think of things you are grateful for. Write a list of as many as you can think of, and refer back to it when you feel like you have nothing but negative feelings.

Write down your goals.

Make a few realistic goals for the near future and put them down on paper. It will be so rewarding when you are able to cross them off and know you achieved something productive for yourself.

Let go of your thoughts when you know you are overthinking.

This seems overly simplistic and impossible. I know the last thing anyone wants to hear when they are overthinking is to stop overthinking. But try to take on a new perspective: when you are getting overwhelmed being in your own head, remember that you have the power to put those thoughts away and distract yourself. If you tell yourself, “I can worry about this later, but not right now,” chances are you won’t feel like worrying about it later.

It is okay to pause.

Listen to the song “Ok (Anxiety Anthem)” by Mabel. It will remind you that not everyone is living a perfect, happy life all the time, even though it might look like that on the outside.

Reach out and talk to someone.

Remember, you don’t have to deal with everything all by yourself. Sometimes the best thing to do is get things off your chest and spend time with someone for a distraction. Even if you aren’t sad, make an effort to spend time with your favorite humans. It can’t hurt.

Visualize positivity.

This is the best way to get positive results. Imagine something going exactly as you want it to, and this will decrease your stress immensely.

Make high-energy choices.

You, and only you, decide your actions. They can either be high-energy and lead to something wonderful, or they can be negative and toxic. Do the best thing for yourself every day, and make sure even the little things you do count for something good.

Remember that sometimes you mistake your feelings for facts. This will pass, and you deserve to treat yourself with kindness. Keep spreading positive energy and the universe will work in your favor.

Keri is a freshman at Pitt majoring in pre-pharmacy. Other than Her Campus, Keri is also a member of CHAARG. When she is not writing, Keri likes to hang out with dogs, listen to all kinds of music, read, workout, drink coffee, and do yoga.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt