stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

What to Know Before Your First Ever Soul Cycle Experience, According to My Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Soul Cycle.  Amongst the numerous other spin classes, this one seems to have kept our attention.  Why? We’ve seen all our favorite celebrities walking out of class, looking picture perfect for the paparazzi.  I just couldn’t help but want to give it a spin (pun intended).

Photo by Alexey Lin on Unsplash

When I got a pass for a free ride, I couldn’t wait to see what all the hype was about.  I looked at the class schedule and there it was, the perfect class for me: “One Direction vs. Jonas Brothers.”  I signed up, filled out the waivers, and rented some shoes. The Soul Cycle studio had a pretty intimidating atmosphere, with seasoned participants surrounding me in the studio.  

First of all, I would like to say, no one warned me about how slippery the bottom of Soul Cycle shoes are, so be careful when walking around before class.  Second of all, clipping into the bikes, not as easy as I thought it would be.  

The class itself was a pretty vigorous workout.  The changing tempo in music helped keep me engaged by preventing me from slipping into a leisurely bike ride.  One Direction throwbacks and new Jonas Brothers music kept my energy up. However, the arm workout we did KILLED me.  If you’re more on the noodle-arm side like me, this part of the class will drain you. Luckily, we ended on a classic What Makes You Beautiful to keep spirits up and end on a high note.

Overall, I enjoyed the class a lot.  I want to give it another shot and see if I enjoy it as much as this one because I’m not sure if it was the class itself or my everlasting love for Harry Styles that kept me pedaling.  

Joanna Cabalquinto

Pepperdine '21

Hey guys, I’m Joanna and i’m super stoked to be writing for HerCampus and organizing fun events as Social Coordinator. I may be from the East Coast, but it only took one sunny afternoon in Malibu to realize I’m a Cali girl at heart. Some things I enjoy (in no particular order) are: hiking, movies based on true events, soft r&b, cookie dough, and long conversations. Can’t wait to write for you guys this year, and if you see me on campus don’t hesitate to say hi!