This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

For years, I have procrastinated the simple task of working out. I always looked at photos of fitness models on Instagram and told myself, I’m going to start working out and be healthier. But the day never came. It was a constant cycle of: I’m going to workout! to I don’t have the time nor energy to go to the gym. Eventually, it grew tiring and I wanted out of that routine. It wasn’t easy, but one fateful day in October, I told myself I was going to go to the gym. And, believe it or not, I did. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I barely surpassed 200 calories after an exhausting 35 minute run on the elliptical, and I felt weak for only being able to lift 10 lbs. on the weight machines. I woke up the next morning sore and barely able to move. But yet, I went again. And again. Until eventually, it became a part of my daily life. Since incorporating near-daily workouts into my everyday life, I’ve been feeling better about my life. Here are all the ways that going to the gym has made me happier:

I’m More Energetic

Before going to the gym, I couldn’t escape a day without having to take a nap. My energy was low and it seemed like I was blowing it all on concentrating in class. But some days, I would find myself struggling to stay awake in my classes, too. Once I started going to the gym, I was slowly able to discover that my naps grew shorter and shorter with each passing day. Eventually, I had enough energy to stay awake all day. I can now go throughout the day without thinking, God I cannot wait to go home and take a nap. And I love it!

Having more energy has enabled me to be more productive. My apartment is cleaner, my homework is getting done earlier and I’ve even began cooking! Yes, you read that right! With my newfound energy, I’ve been able to find the time to begin cooking. I used to have a strong aversion to it, but I’m slowly beginning to have a passion for it. By the way, I know how to make a mean chicken.

I Have More Control Over My Emotions

I am not going to argue with anyone who tells me I’m sensitive. I own it! I’m sensitive and waaaaay too emotional. I always struggled to find a way to manage stress, even though I wrote an entire article about how to do that. When it came down to being stressed, I reacted to the small things in an overt way and everyone around me was beginning to feel stressed out themselves. I had gotten to the point where I was taking my stress out on my loved ones, and more often than not, I found myself snapping at them for something out of their control. It was a terrible rut that I found myself in and I knew I needed to find another outlet to let my stress out. Once I began working out, I quickly found that was the outlet I was needing that entire time. When I run on the elliptical, I find that the days that I burn more calories when I’m stressed because I run faster. When I use the weight machines, I’m able to lift heavier weights when I’m feeling the pressure of school or my personal life.

As much as I wish my days were perfect, they’re not. There’s always something that manages to stress me out, even if it’s just a little. Working out has become a safe and healthy way to unload all of my worries and troubles from the day and I could not be more thankful that I found that.

I Feel Better About Myself

I’ve always been confident about the way I looked, but no one is immune to insecurity. Before I began exercising, I would spend a lot of time looking in the mirror and thinking about how great my life would be if I had a tone and fit body. When I began going to the gym and seeing results, I started to feel better about how I looked and I was beginning to realize that I was able to accomplish goals that I was setting for myself. As I become more self-aware of what I am eating and how I am treating my body, I’m able to appreaciate myself more. I’m able to appreciate how I look and how I prioritize goals and accomplishments. Although I know I still have quite a while until I am perfectly happy with the way I look, I know I’m taking the right path. And for now, that’s all I need to know to feel better about myself.

I’m Eating and Drinking Healthier

I’ve always known that working out was simply not enough to begin to look better. You have to eat and drink better, too. Before I worked out, I constantly stuffed my face with fast food and Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper always has, and always will be, my No. 1 weakness! But when I began exercising, I knew I needed to trade in the fast food for home-cooked meals (thank God I have the energy to cook!) and sodas for water. At first, it was hard. And there are still some days that I struggle with it. There are still some days where I just can’t turn Taco Bell down. But after a some time, I found my body beginning to crave water and healthier foods. Once I realized that all it took was a little bit of self-conditioning, I found it easier to ignore all the junk.

In some ways, I can honestly say that working out has positively transformed my life. I have more energy, more control over my emotions, more confidence and a better diet. Of course, there are days where I would rather run across hot coals than step foot in the gym. And there are days where I question whether it’s worth to continue exercising. But the natural high I gain out of a hard workout and the joy I feel when I see the hard work paying off is something I don’t think I ever want to stop experiencing.

If you’re thinking of starting to exercise, do it. You’re going to start out with a few struggles, but don’t let it discourage you. When you begin to run faster, lift heavier weights or stretch farther, it will all be worth it.

Writer at HerCampus OKState and Co-Host of "Pokes Who Prod" at KXZY