kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What Is Self-Love?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Self-love is defined as regard for one’s own well-being and happiness. Truth is, you are the only person that can choose happiness for yourself. Sometimes people rely on others to make them happy, but it is unfair to burden others with a task that only you can complete. As Eartha Kitt once said, “It’s all about falling in love with yourself and sharing that love with someone who appreciates you, rather than looking for love to compensate for a self-love deficit.” And, there is truly no better feeling in the world than being able to love each and every part of yourself.

It is important to remember that sometimes in order to reach self-love it is okay to be selfish. For you to become the best version of yourself, you may need to put yourself first which is 100% acceptable. Putting yourself before others can be daunting if you’re anything like me, but it is necessary in order to heal yourself and discover what is best for your well-being and happiness. I know several people who think that self-love is putting on a face mask and soaking in a bubble bath. While pampering yourself may be helpful, self-love is so much more than that. The most important relationship you will ever have while on earth is the one you maintain with yourself. So, make sure you are spending as much time on your relationship with yourself as you are on other relationships!

Self-love is being comfortable in your skin. Self-love is not caring about what others around you may think and always doing what you love regardless of other people’s judgements. Self-love is taking care of yourself both physically AND mentally. Self-love is taking breaks when you need them. Self-love is setting goals and following your dreams. Self-love is pushing yourself to achieve greatness. Self-love is never giving up on yourself even when setbacks occur. Self-love is asking for help when you need it; there is nothing wrong with asking others for help. Self-love is also using your abilities to help others love themselves. Self-love takes time and effort, it does not come easy.

Self-love may have a different meaning to you than it has to me. But, one thing is for certain, self-love is essential. Share this article with any of your friends or family that you think could use a little more self-love and remember, no self-love is too much. Keep thriving and blossoming into something beautiful!

Darian Berdysz is an Ohio University graduate. While at school, she studied Communications, Marketing, and Social Media at the Scripps College of Communications. She was also involved with Thread Magazine, Ohio Multimedia Society was a Communication Executive for University Program Council and the Vice President of Students Professionals of Communication Studies. Darian enjoys dancing and singing at every chance she gets, traveling, and spending time with her friends.