10-15 Minute Workouts for a Busy Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In between our busy university schedules and our need to socialize and have fun, going to the gym is not a priority. However, we shouldn’t neglect our body, as exercising has many perks. People who exercise tend to sleep better, are more fit (duh!), have increased energy and flexibility and also have better memory, mood and self-confidence. If it is one of those days that you’re too lazy to leave the house, there’s a simple workout you can do at home. It takes around ten to fifteen minutes, so it’s perfect for a morning energy boost, a relaxing nighttime workout, or even a study break.

Before you start, try doing some hamstring stretches to warm up. After you finish the whole circuit, you should rest for about 30 seconds and then repeat the circuit another three times. If you find the workout too easy, you can increase the repetitions of each exercise.

Circuit:

1. Jumping Jacks (30 seconds):

They boost your heart rate which in turn helps to burn more calories and fat.

Remember to keep your knees slightly bent when your feet are together to prevent injury.

2. Pushups (10 reps):

They help you work your chest, arms and core.

Remember to start with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and to always have a strong core (your bum should not be sticking up in the air).

3. Crunches (10 reps):

They help to strengthen your core.

Remember to do small crunches and not a full sit-up. Sit-ups can pull at the lower back and neck muscles and could cause injury. In this exercise, we want to focus on the abs.

4. Squats (15 reps):

They work your glutes, thigh and core.

Your back should always be straight. When you squat down, focus on keeping your knees in line with your feet.

5. Alternating back lunges (8 reps each leg):

They work your back, inner and outer thighs and hamstrings.

Keeping your core strong will help you balance.

6. Plank with T rotation (20 seconds each side):

This works your core and obliques.

Think of your body as a straight line, don’t let your bum stick out and try to keep a strong core.

Edited by Niamh Perry

Vicky P

Nottingham

Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.