The Time Yoga Kicked My Butt: 30 Days of Yoga, Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Read Part I here.

The project: 30 days of yoga at Joy Yoga Center in Houston, TX

The results: Shavasana achieved.

For the past thirty days – every morning, without fail – I’ve woken up with dull muscle soreness in my arms, especially triceps, inner and outer thighs, abs, and upper back muscles.  Even after thirty days of yoga, my muscles are still not bored or go without challenge in each class.

This summer has been a whirlwind. I moved to a new city, worked 60-70 hour weeks, made friends, and still managed to explore my new city, keep in touch with my best friends all over the country, and work out every day. Needless to say, I’m tired. I’ve found that at the end of a long day at work or a weekend that didn’t let me rest for more than a minute, the small things have been the happiest parts of my summer. The list of small things includes trips to Whole Foods instead of the regular grocery store, running to Starbucks every day at 3pm, lounging with friends by the pool on Saturdays, and, believe it or not, my yoga classes.

Yoga has allowed me to find peace in the chaos of my new life and my new city this summer. Yoga has asked nothing of me but to find 60 or 75 minutes in my day to clear my mind and breathe. While finding the time was often quite difficult, I was always rewarded with a clear and peaceful mind and a sense of comfort and calm at the end of every class.

My yoga mat has become a second home to me. I’ve laughed, cried, sweat, fallen, and gotten up on that mat. I’ve found myself feeling as though I were levitating off its surface at times, and at others, I’ve found myself wiping tears from my eyes as I let myself truly feel the emotions that were bottled up during the day. I’ve discovered such peace and comfort on that mat; I’ve learned things about myself, and I’ve done good things for myself during those hour or 75-minute classes.

Physically, I’ve grown noticeably stronger. Much of Yoga requires supporting one’s own body weight. Planks, Chattarangas, and Downward Dogs are three of the most common poses that require one to support his or her own weight for a few seconds up to several minutes. My arms that used to shake thirty days ago are strong, stable, and peaceful. I’ve been able to successfully hold the Crow pose and achieve the awesome Shoulder Stand. My back has not hurt once over the past thirty days. My posture has improved, and my balance is on point (so long as I refrain from drinking at happy hours before classes….)

Mentally, I’ve made strong strides toward achieving my starting goal. I have found a greater sense of peace in my relationships and in my mind, I have found emotional release in Shavasana, and I have found joy in my practice. Overall, I feel calmer in my day to day living. I now livee a life of gratitude of which Yoga preaches. I find rewards in challenges and strength in moments of defeat. I acknowledge my weaknesses and have made peace with the things I cannot change. I accept that sometimes, the only thing I can change and control is my attitude. I have developed courage to do things on my own. I now see the light in each and every person, because I have only just begun to let my own light shine. I am so grateful to have found this beautiful, spiritual practice.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to try and to commit to something this amazing for thirty days. I can confidently say that I will be a lifelong practitioner and fan of Yoga. ‘Til next time, Namaste.

May the light in me shine and honor the light in you.

Photos 1, 2, 3 

Ayla Kinney

Notre Dame '13

.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.