How To Stay Healthy On A College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Taking care of yourself must be a main priority when you’re away at college. College is a strenuous time. But if you make a conscientious effort to focus on your well-being, it can help make you feel better and healthier overall. Here are some tips on how you can keep your immune system strong and avoid getting sick.

1. Wash your hands instead of using hand sanitizer

As tempting as it may be to purchase Bath & Body Works’ entire fall collection of hand sanitizers, it is not the most hygienic route. “Hand sanitizer may promote resistance among the germs they are supposed to wipe out,” says Spencer Mass, a biology professor at SUNY New Paltz. “This can result in hand sanitizer resistant strains of bacteria.” Washing your hands with warm water and soap does not kill the germs, but it mechanically removes the vast majority. Also, be mindful of what you touch. Clean the items you carry with you daily, and do not touch your face after using public equipment.

2. Eat right

While away at college it can be easy to go for the quickest option provided to you, but that is rarely the healthiest approach. Emily Ferencik has been a nutritionist at SUNY New Paltz for two years. Her advice is to color your plate. “Don’t limit yourself to only tan, white and yellow starches” said Ferencik. “Make sure you  eat wholesome starches, fruits, vegetables and proteins.” Ferencik also said to incorporate foods that are rich in probiotics. Probiotic enriched foods help improve digestion and keep your immune system strong.

3. Know local food services

Ferencik also said to eat local foods that are in season. Every Friday, the Farmer’s Market comes to campus and gives college students discounts on organic and locally grown food. “It’s important to try new foods, especially vegetables, so you can obtain a variety of nutrition and vitamins,” said Ferencik. “The Farmer’s Market employees will also explain how to use the food you purchase in everyday meals.” SUNY New Paltz also has an Instagram account, Hungry Hawks. “The account showcases different ethnic foods being served, free samples from outside food vendors and healthy options provided on campus,” said Peter Hottum, marketing coordinator for SUNY New Paltz’s food services.

4. Make sure you exercise

Getting your daily cardio is easy here in New Paltz. SUNY New Paltz’s campus is in close proximity whether you live on or off campus. All the cafes, restaurants and stores in town are within walking distance as well. “The great part about being a student at New Paltz is the variety of opportunities you have to stay fit and have fun doing it,” said Christina Cordier, assistant director of Wellness and Recreation. “We have the Health and Wellness Center, personal trainers, group exercise classes, intramurals and so many other options. There is something for everyone.”

5. Manage your stress

A little stress is good because it motivates you, but too much can have a detrimental impact on your immune system. The American Psychological Association researched the difference between college students who conscientiously made time to relieve stress and those who did not. College students who did manage their stress felt better overall. Meanwhile, students who didn’t manage their stress had dramatic declines in their immunity and were more susceptible to getting sick. Everyone has their own way to relieve stress. Find yours and incorporate it into your everyday routine. Cordier recommends doing yoga to find your inner peace or taking a Zumba class to remove negative energy in a constructive way.

6. Self-care

Make time to relax and recollect. The American Psychological Association study also found that many college students experience depression and loneliness. The study noted that “even just a few close friends can help someone feel connected and stay strong.” Quality interpersonal relationships are necessary to maintain a healthy mindset and attitude.

My name is Louise Puma but most people call me Weizee. I am a senior at SUNY New Paltz with a Public Relations major and a minor in Women's Studies. I am passionate about women's rights and raising awareness about societal issues. I love to meet new people and learn more about the world through their experiences. I love to try new food places. I drink coffee like its a hobby. I love to work out and explore nature. Writing has become my lifeline and has helped me develop who I am as a person.