Wellness > Health

Try these 5-minute Workouts to Boost Your Energy During the Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you’re busy with classes, meetings, and trying to balance your life during the pandemic, going to the gym or working out at home may have slid to the bottom of your priority list. Getting the habit of exercise back can seem like a daunting task, but if you have five minutes between classes, you can boost your energy and metabolism for the day by just doing a quick exercise. 

It may seem a bit counter-intuitive if you’re used to working out for 1-2 hours daily, but studies have shown that small chunks of intense exercise can contribute towards the recommended 150 minutes of exercise a week. A 2013 study at the University of Utah found that even a minute of exercise improved health prospects for participants. I’m a frequent participant in five-minute exercises because I can fit them in between classes in the space by my desk. I find that five minutes is the perfect amount of time to wake my body up after sitting and it gives my brain a boost for my next activity. Here are some of my favorites:

*Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. My experience comes from sports training and coaching. Please conduct these workouts at your own risk. 

Workout 1: Cardio

20 seconds for each exercise, 20 seconds break in between exercises, repeat

0:00: start jogging in place

0:20: break

0:40: jogging again

1:00: break

1:20: fast jogging in place (fast feet/hail mary)

1:40: break

2:00: jumping jacks

2:20: break

2:40: high knees

3:00: break

3:20: jumping jacks again

3:40: break

4:00: fast jogging in place again

4:20: break

4:40: jog to cool down

Simple, right? The exercises build in intensity and then come back down to cool off. This format can be applied to other areas of the body too. 

Workout 2: Abs

0:00: regular crunches

0:20: break

0:40: twisting crunches

1:00: break

1:20: v-sit hold (bend your legs if you need to)

1:40: break

2:00: v-sit hold again

2:20: break

2:40: penguins, lay on your back with knees bent and reach to one ankle then the other

3:00: break

3:20: twisting crunches

3:40: break

4:00: regular crunches

4:20: break

4:40: regular crunches OR just hold crunch position

Try substituting your favorite exercises in these slots to get a workout that works for you. Remember, you just have to get your heart rate up a little for the exercise to really benefit you. If you need more inspiration, head over to YouTube and look at what the Internet’s influencers are using for their short workouts. Influencers like Bailey Brown and POPSUGAR Fitness have lots of 5-minute videos to follow along with. I like to keep a document of my favorite workouts and video links on my desktop so that I can pull it up between classes. Pencil in time for yourself to be active every day, even if it’s just a quick stretch break or a couple of your favorite yoga poses. Your body will thank you!

Hi! My name is C, I'm originally from Oregon and came to MSU to pursue my passions: fencing, gymnastics, theater, and writing. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm an avid fanfiction author/reader and also write plays and novels. When not on the fencing strip with the MSU Fencing team, I'm nose-deep in a good book or painting some wild art. Follow me on instagram @c.rosewidmann to see pictures of my furbabies.