This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Within the past few years, I’ve added some staple foods into my diet. These health foods are absolutely essential to me, and I must have them at all times! I love foods that are versatile and multi-purpose, as well as nutritious. If you’re looking to try some new foods, check out the list of my favorite health foods below!

1. Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are amazing! With all the antioxidants and omega-3s, these are a great addition to most people’s diet. I love adding chia seeds into smoothies and oatmeal, plus you can add them into a lot of different recipes! You can use them in cookie, granola bar, and jam recipes. My favorite breakfast is chia pudding!

2. Dark Chocolate

Now, it’s not for everyone, but for people who are looking for a healthier dessert option, dark chocolate is great! True dark chocolate is actually lower in sugar than you might expect. It also can be a good source of iron and manganese. I love buying the “Endangered Species Chocolate,” which can be found at Target. 10% of the net profits go towards saving wildlife! So not only are you getting a healthy treat, you’re helping save the animals too!

3. Ground Flaxseed

I use ground flaxseed much like I do chia seeds! Flaxseed can be added into smoothies, oatmeal, and a ton of other recipes! It’s a good source of omega-3s and fiber. You can buy whole flaxseeds or ground flaxseed. I prefer the ground version, simply because it’s easier to add to things.

4. Oats

Oats are great because you can use them in so many different ways. You can make regular oatmeal, baked oatmeal, oat flour, oat milk; you can use them in granola recipes, cookie recipes, pancake recipes… the list goes on! I love how versatile they are because it cuts down on so much potential waste. Oats are a healthy grain with tons of fiber!

5. Hummus

This is one of the foods I always have in my dorm room. Hummus is essentially (in my opinion) when snacking! I will pair hummus with just about any vegetable; I usually buy carrots, peppers, and cucumbers. You can also eat crackers or bread with it. When it comes to buying hummus, the fewer ingredients, the better. Hummus becomes a lot less healthy when a ton of things are added to it. One way to avoid this, is to try making some at home!

All of these foods are great for adding extra nutrition into your diet. Next time you’re at the grocery store, be sure to check these out!

Rayna is a junior in the School of Journalism. Her focus is in environment, science and health reporting, as well as health promotions. Rayna likes hiking, coffee, books, art, and plants.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.