This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Although given a stigma, anxiety is more common than once perceived. It doesn’t have a single set of symptoms – it is unique to every individual, and there are different types of anxiety. The worry, unease and nervousness can overtake you. You may feel powerless or restless. You may have trembling, increased heart rate or sweating. You may have all of these, or you may have none of these.

Anxiety is a common reaction to stress. It affects roughly 18 percent of adults, but that doesn’t mean all cases are reported. The number of college students affected by anxiety is continuing to rise. As of 2015, one in six college students have been treated or diagnosed with anxiety. It is becoming more common that some think, but there are ways to cope with anxiety. Figuring out which methods work for you can really help you in your everyday life.

Diet

Having a healthy diet is not only key to being healthy all around, but it is helpful in dealing with anxiety. Some foods help people stay calmer and boost moods, such as salmon, greek yogurt and whole grain bread. In the same way that food can help your body deal with anxiety, it can also do the opposite. Some foods and beverages such as coffee alcohol and candy, among other things, should be avoided. It’s important to know what you are consuming in order to understand how it affects your mood and stress levels.

Sleep

In addition to having a well-balanced diet, sleep is fundamental for one’s health. Sometimes, individuals who are dealing with anxiety have trouble sleeping, which can be normal for someone who is experiencing stress. When a person is in a constant state of stress, more sleep is often required. If you are struggling with getting a good amount of sleep at night, it helps to create a sleep schedule. Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, using your bedroom for only sleeping (not school work) and giving yourself time before bed without technology allows for the possibility of a better sleep.

Exercise

As well as sleep, exercise aids in feeling better and being healthier in relation to anxiety. When you exercise, your brain releases healthy and happy endorphins. Keep in mind that when you exercise, it doesn’t have to be something you don’t like to do. There are alternatives to any workout that you don’t enjoy. Anything that is physical activity, such as running, dancing, swimming, walking or weight lifting, can help in dealing with anxiety. If you have trouble sticking with a workout, there are plenty of tips online or from friends.

Relaxation

Lastly, it is important to give yourself time to relax. Anxiety and stress can affect many areas in one’s life. It is important to take time to do things you enjoy and find fun. Breaks from everyday life and stress are needed. If you struggle to relax, it can help to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, visualization and meditation. Taking care of yourself is extremely important and relaxation is a huge part of that.

Sometimes it seems that anxiety can take hold of you at any time. If you are suffering from anxiety attacks, it may be helpful to figure out what is triggering them. The next time you are feeling an anxiety attack coming on, try to breathe and figure out what triggered it and if you can prevent it from continuing. This can be a challenge, as these feelings are often extremely strong and controlling. If it is not possible, look back on previous times where you have felt anxious. If you can identify the triggers, you will be more likely to prevent being in those situations or you will be better equipped to find the best way to cope with being in those situations.

Learning how to take care of yourself is key to becoming a more healthy individual all around. Sometimes, accepting the fact that not everything can be controlled is a breath of fresh air – although, it can be challenging. Finding a technique that works for you – and sticking with it – can help you keep hold of your anxiety and cope with the daily stresses of life.

Michigan State University Class of 2020 Psychology & Neuroscience Major on the Pre-Med Track Lover of coffee, dogs and croissants Michigan Native
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian