This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s already three weeks into the spring semester, and in spite of all the assignments, work and obligations we have on our plates, it’s important to take some time to ourselves and recharge. Here are a few healthy ways to take care of yourself.

Use a mindfulness app

If you’re ever in need of something to help you clear your mind at the end of a long day of Zoom sessions and homework, it might be helpful to try a mindfulness app. These apps are designed to help people wind down. You might have heard of them before; Calm and Headspace are just two examples. These apps are designed to help you find some peace after a hectic day.

Take a walk or do something active 

Believe it or not, exercise is a surefire way to take care of yourself mentally during these times. Take a walk, a jog or try some yoga. Yoga With Adriene is just one example of a YouTube page that can help tremendously if you’re interested in it. Staying active will not only have you feeling good, but can also help you take your mind off of things that are going on in your life and are possibly stressing you out. Start releasing those endorphins! UMD currently has a fitness YouTube channel for anyone who wants to continue to stay fit in a virtual format, as well as virtual GroupFit classes.

Journal or write out your thoughts 

Something as simple as writing out your thoughts, frustrations or triumphs of the day can definitely help improve your mental health. You don’t need a fancy pen and notebook to start. Just a simple journal and a pen or pencil will work. Take the time to go over things that are frustrating or troubling you, as well as the highlights of your day.

Talk to people

The world has changed so much because of the pandemic, but that doesn’t mean that your connections to others have to fizzle out. Take the time to call a friend or go on a Zoom call with someone you haven’t seen in a while. Start a Netflix watch-party with your friends and watch some episodes of a show you’re into. Take the time to invest in the friendships and relationships you already have.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep

According to the Sleep Foundation, adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night. If you’re getting less sleep than that, assess what’s going on in your life. Are you staying up later than usual because you’re scrolling on social media? Make the necessary adjustments so that you can enjoy a full night’s sleep. You might want to start by trying not to go on your phone 1-2 hours before bedtime, or leaving your phone outside your room so you’re not tempted to scroll on it. Make a conscious effort not to let technology or stressful things like school and work interfere with rest.

Self-care is a very important thing to practice, especially since we’re in the middle of a pandemic that has drastically affected the way we live. Make it a priority to spend time taking care of yourself, so that you’ll be able to do well in your classes, put forth your best efforts at work, maintain strong relationships and in general live a healthier, happier lifestyle. Simple, minor changes in your self-care habits can improve your quality of life for the better and leave you feeling great. Self-care may seem like something that isn’t required by any means, but it can greatly improve your well-being.

Rebeka Ewusie

Maryland '23

Rebeka Ewusie is a junior English major who loves to read, write, listen to music, and watch movies. She was born and raised in Germantown, Maryland and has traveled to three countries.
Gracie is a junior journalism and public policy double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. Currently, Gracie is one of the Campus Correspondents for her chapter alongside Devon Milley.