Wellness > Health

How to “Yoga” as a Broke University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Have you ever wanted to try yoga? Been super stressed with school, wanted a relief or felt super sore and thought yoga was the way to go? Have you then pursued this goal and then realized yoga memberships are crazy expensive? I know I have, and gosh is it not fun. So take it from someone who has had to work to find the right yoga routine. Try out these tips to incorporate yoga into your life as a university student.

Discover your “Why.”

Whenever you do anything it’s important to do it with good intentions so you are not mindlessly doing it. So, find your why. Why do you want to do yoga? Is it for the physical benefits? Mental benefits? Do you have a goal to be more flexible? Do you want to find inner peace? Whatever it may be, be intentional with your practice so that when you step on the mat you get the most out of your practice.

Try yoga at the Laurier YMCA.

Have you ever considered the YMCA workout class schedule? They have weekly yoga classes, so if you feel like dipping your toes in the water to see if yoga is right for you, here is the YMCA October fitness schedule!

Give at home yoga a try.

Now, if yoga classes aren’t your thing try out this amazing YouTube channel, Yoga with Adriene. She has so many amazing videos that explore yoga for all different types of issues;  yoga for stress, back pain, depression, sleep and basically everything in between. She is my favourite yogi and I do one of her videos every day. She makes you feel safe and I would definitely recommend her as being part of your yoga journey.

Remember to breathe.

Breathe in… breathe out. Throughout the day remind yourself to take deep breaths and to take a moment for yourself. Do a little stretch — five to 20 minutes will help you reconnect with your body.

Wear the right clothes.

When starting your yoga practice wear clothes you feel good in, whether that’s leggings, a sweater, a loose long sleeve, etcetera. You’ll want to feel confident and comfy going onto the mat. Wear what you feel best working out in because remember: This practice is all about you.

Be gentle and patient with yourself.

Starting off your yoga journey may be tough and you may not see the benefits right away. You might even feel silly at times but I encourage you to keep going. Learn more about yoga itself and how it can improve your health. Discover yourself through your practice and show compassion to your body to getting you where you are today.

As my favourite yogi, Adriene, says “find what feels good.” Make your yoga practice something that empowers you and brings enjoyment into your life. Do it because you love your body, and future you will thank you for it!

alexa stucke

Laurier Brantford '21

My name is Alexa, I am a second year social work student. When I am not studying I enjoy to write poetry and practice yoga. I also can be seen in the gym either coaching or playing basketball. I hope to share insight on self love and how to better yourself through my writing here with Her campus!