Wellness

A Little Escapism Is Necessary Sometimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Exam season is in full swing, the stress is mounting, and let’s be honest, almost every student looks like their about to burst into tears, or fall asleep. The pressure is intense at this time of the year and while we knew it would always be upon us, we’re never quite as prepared as we wish we were. However, all of those negative feelings don’t help and girl, it’s ok to banish them and keep going. We wish you the best for your exams and urge you to remember that you’re worth more than any grade (that be letter or percentage or degree classification)!

A bit of escapism is necessary this academic term, and whatever your escapism is during exam season, go for it. And if you’re stuck for some ideas, we’ve got three ideas for you. They may seem simple but they can bring about wondrous outcomes. 

1. Walks in the fresh air

Maybe like the gym-favouring many you might before to just go work some stress off in the gym, but consider changing it up a little. There is nothing as refreshing as a walk in the fresh air. You don’t need to have a set path, or push yourself to reach some kind of goal, just walk until you feel good and you’ve been reminded of the world’s natural beauty. We’re so lucky at Lancaster that our university grounds are gorgeous and green, you will regret not walking the Woodland Trail or through the sports fields if you don’t do it. Grab a friend, or two, or three, and get out there. Embrace it all, and then you can go back to studying with new vigour.

2. Mate date

At this time of the year, we need each other, and we need to stick together. So many of us are far from home, and even those who grew up not far from Lancaster also experience that longing for home. By hanging out with your friends, whether its getting coffee or lunch, watching a film in the evenings or simply painting each other’s nails, cherish that time. 

3. Talk about other things

Revision this, revision that. We’re all doing it, and all trying to do it, but some struggle more than others, and some excel beyond belief. It may be best during down-time to not mention the R word. When talking with your friends and family, use that time to be open and honest of course, but also dream and plan and dream some more!

Anna Mather

Lancaster '19

Anna is a final year student of French & Linguistics at Lancaster University and will graduate in 2019. She is one of Lancaster's Chapter Correspondents. Her favourite topics to write about are fashion, style and interior design ideas. She loves to share photos on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ku_layrosas/ She also runs Kulayrosas, her own fashion, faith and lifestyle blog: https://kulayrosas.com/