This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Ditch those energy drinks and processed foods for healthy alternatives. Here are five healthy ways to boost your energy:

Breakfast

Start eating more REAL food. Forget fruit juices and granola bars that are high in sugar, and try swapping them for things like whole fruits, eggs, and oatmeal. Cooking breakfast at home can help to ensure that you’re not eating a handful of processed junk. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so you should treat it like so.

Green Tea

Drinking a cup of green tea in the morning can help boost your metabolism and improve digestion! But don’t think it’s just a morning drink. According to a study, if you drink five cups a day you can increase your energy by up to 90 calories a day and you may be able to shed some weight!

Sunlight

Vitamin D is the answer! Open up those blinds in your dorm room, apartment or house. Your body needs vitamin D from sunlight to keep your energy levels up. When the weather is nice, take a break from your books and go for run or bike ride. Soak up the sun! Exercise is just as important as sunlight, so why not pair the two?

Healthy, Organic Snacking

We’ve already established the importance of breakfast, but did you know you should be snacking throughout the day? Instead of eating three huge meals, try eating a big (healthy) breakfast and several small meals. Consuming these foods and beverages can help maintain brain function and energy levels:

·      Coconut or lemon water

·      Bananas

·      Apples

·      Blueberries

·      Celery

·      Quinoa

·      Unsalted, raw almonds

·      Carrots

·      Raw granola

Sleep

“It’s 2 am already?!” We’re all guilty of putting off homework until the last minute or getting distracted by watching movies or surfing the Internet, but sleep is important! According to the National Sleep Foundation, adults 18+ need 7-9 hours of sleep every night. I know, I know, you’re all so busy… It’s tough for college kids to get a healthy amount of sleep, but it’s essential to gaining more energy.