Wellness > Mental Health

Walking To Therapy: An Unregrettable Leap Of Faith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

Mental health and psychotherapy are a big taboo in Indian homes. For a long time, I didn’t know what therapy was and when one needs it. But that’s not what I’m here to talk about. The challenge before me is different: long after unlearning the taboo and prejudice surrounding it, and even having access to mental health services thanks to my university, I couldn’t bring myself to actually go for therapy, no matter how much I felt the need.

This happens to a lot of us, so I realized. Hesitating to talk to a stranger or even a friend. Avoiding dealing with our issues, or thinking that they will just go away and this is just a rough few weeks. Unlearnt the social taboo around mental health, but in some unconscious part of our mind, is it still a taboo? Or just not feeling sure about it.

The fear of being judged is very real and everyone experiences it at varying degrees. Some more than others. I’m one of those people. That’s the thing about therapy and counseling, they are like talking to a close friend, but without judgment and expectations, though surely not without absolute trust and acceptance. But a lot of you already know that, and yet you hesitate. I did too.

“They’re not going to turn into a dinosaur and eat me if I say something wrong.”

That’s probably the most bizarre advice you’ve ever got. But this is what I say to myself every time I feel nervous about talking to people. And that happens a lot. But when it’s a big day and I need some courage, I tell myself:

“If they can be a dinosaur big enough to stress me, well, I can sure be a dragon.”

Believe me, it helps me overcome my stage fright and build confidence. It’s a work in progress. And it’s exactly what made me climb that invisible wall that stood between me and my mental health. It took me a long time to actually go to the website and talk to a therapist. It felt weird, and honestly, a little scary at first, and sometimes the sessions go to places I don’t want them to, and it still gets uncomfortable at moments, but in the long run, I know it’s for my own sake. I’ve barely had a few sessions, and I am already starting to feel better. My therapist is really nice, they all are.

Some might say it’s a ‘Leap of Faith’. But hey, it’s worth it. You’re worth it. Give yourself a chance to heal. The hesitation will go away in time. You have to take that leap of faith, of faith in yourself.

Born and brought up in the small towns of India. A young woman seeking herself through life. Love books, hate monotonous work, draw inspiration from nature. Currently a first year student at Krea University.