The 10 Best Places on Campus to Take a Nap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Being a Kenyon college student means many things: you have school, clubs, sports, friends, that Old K party you just HAVE to go to on Friday night, etc. Since us college kids are busy bees, it’s important that we take naps since, let’s be real, most of us don’t get our full eight hours of sleep at night. However, sometimes napping in your own bed gets a little old and boring, so much so that you do not want to take a nap in your bed (sad)! Here is a list of the ten best places on campus to nap.

1. Third Floor Ascension

Not only does Ascension look like a castle, but the couches on the third floor are probably comfier than your bed…a lot comfier. Sleep as people study; they won’t judge you. They will only wish that they could be you.

2. Anywhere in Olin, but especially the study room with the couches.

There lies a hidden beauty in Olin: a study room filled with couches. When I was studying for finals last year, I was so tired of reading that I fell asleep in a small arm chair for an hour. It’s a great place if you don’t want to be disturbed during your precious napping time.

3. Study Room in Smather

The third floor of Sam Mather is home to many classrooms, but what most people don’t know is that there is a small study room with a kitchen, couch, and a table. Think of it as a mini apartment. Not only is it productive space for studying, but the couches are a great place for napping if you need a quiet and peaceful study break.

4. Your Friend’s Bed

Let’s be real, your friend’s bed is always comfier than yours. Take advantage of it, and nap in your friend’s room while they are in class.

5. The Couches in Gund Commons

One of the most popular hang-out spots for studying, Gund Commons is home to a very cozy couch room. I napped there many times as my friends did their homework. This would be a good spot if you don’t mind listening to background chatter.

6. Any of the Lounges in dorms (specifically Norton, Gund, and Leonard)

One of the greatest perks of dorm life is the lounges. Not only are the lounges quiet, but people respect you as you sleep in the common area. Be careful not to spend the night in the lounges though as you may get kicked out in the middle of the night and have to make that awful trek back to your room.​

7. The Peirce Pub (on weekdays!)

Dim lighting, couches, little noise. Yeah, that sounds like a perfect napping spot for me, unless you are trying to nap on a Friday or Saturday night when everyone will be partying it up at the pub!

8. Outside on a Sunny Day (preferably on a hammock)

Setting up a hammock in the shade during the summer months at Kenyon is probably one of the most relaxing things a student can do at school. Plug in your earbuds and fall asleep to a relaxing summer playlist. Of course, you may experience some discomfort if your peers want to see you inside of your hammock and disturb you from your sleep.

9. Bio Reading Room (Higley)

Though I have not napped here myself, a reliable source claims that this is one of the best places to nap on campus.

10. Palme House Lounge

Again, I have not set foot in this building, but my friend is convinced that this is a quality napping location.

Kenyon has many great places to nap whether it’s in your bed or somewhere else. All students nap, even that super smart kid in your class. I recommend every person takes at least thirty minutes out of their day to nap or even just relax and not think about their work.

Image Credit: Feature, Anushka Patel

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.